Pics

Pugsabi

Free Ranging
Jun 5, 2018
Arlington, Texas
For the longest time I thought y'all were crazy about this chicken math thing. How do you go to the store for one thing and magically double your flock? That wasn't going to be me!

My starting flock was just going to be two chickens. I ordered the coop and hardware cloth. Tuesday, the items were supposed to arrive, I'd set everything up and have chickens by Wednesday!

Well Tuesday came, but only half the coop arrived (1 box out of the expected 2) and a message about the second box arriving Wednesday. That was fine, just gave me more time to visit different feed stores and figure out where I was going to buy my birds.

Then, Wednesday came and still no box! Apparently it was damaged on route and the seller was going to send me another one. I was a bit disappointed but that just gave me some time to do a bit more research.

I saw a thread saying that it's best to start a flock with three birds instead of two. So that's what we'd do (it's not chicken math, it's just for the health of the birds!)

That brings me to Friday, where two boxes arrive! Instead of just sending me the one box I was missing, they sent me a whole new coop! Which means I now have an extra nesting box, ramp, poop drawer, and two "walls" complete with doors. With the extra hardware cloth, an old dog house and box of extras we had enough to make an extra coop! And still block off part of the backyard so they can free-range!

I didn't have time to get the chickens on Friday before work (I work the graveyard shift on weekends) so I made plans with Mom and my sister-in-law to get the pullets on Saturday afternoon.

We got there and it was packed! Most people were there for the chicks, but we knew we wanted them to be a little older. The first one the lady grabbed was a calico princess and when she gave her to me she made some clucking noises and immediately started falling asleep in my arms! We also got a black sex link and an olive egger. Then my mother said she wanted a white one so we got a leghorn(how could I say no to my own mother?). It's not chicken math, right? It's just obligation to make the one who brought me into this world and raised me happy!

Well last night at work, I kept thinking about the Wyandotte that I always wanted (since I found out they existed two weeks ago), wishing that I had gotten her, plus, didn't mom's leghorn have a comb that was a bit too pink? She might be a surprise roo! We'll have plenty of space with an extra coop.

We talked it over and I'll be going to go get my new pullet tomorrow... But I don't want her to get picked on for being the new girl, so I might as well get two..

So about this chicken math thing, are there meetings? Or a vaccination? I think might be coming down with something...

Welcome. Take a seat. You will fit right in. ;)
BTW, homegrown eggs are better than store. Much better!

That's what started this thing! :p My mother works as a medical assistant for a dermatologist in the country and some of her patients have been giving her eggs by the dozen!

I enjoyed reading about how you became infected.

There is no cure, no vaccine, no special meetings and no way to control the urge to get new chicks every spring.

It's ok. We are always here for you.
When your family, friends, coworkers, and strangers don't want to see pics of all your chicks we will be here.
When it's spring and it seems every store you go in has chicks, cute fuzzy chicks, we will be here.
When you need to expand your coop because the chicks got you we will be here.

You are in good company here. :D

Well, we still have 2/3rds of the backyard and one spare room in the house...;)

This is the craziest set up, but there's a house not too far from me where they bought the neighbor's house and I swear they're using it for animals. I guess you can chicken math like crazy if you're buying a second house for them!

Well, we still have 2/3rds of the backyard and one spare room in the house...;)
Just FYI, you are NOT going to want those chicks in the house very long, I kept some in my spare bathroom and changed their bedding every day and they still managed to stink and fling stuff EVERYWHERE! I ended up building an insulated brooding shed out of an old playhouse and some recycled materials.

Back
Top Bottom