My Sister’s Surprise Duck Story!

@GunnyBun
Congrats on getting ducks! They're fabulous creatures!
I would recommend getting ducklings instead of hatching eggs. They can be very hard to incubate, and i don't want you getting disappointed!
As for duck mating, they are not dramatic at all. Honestly, i like my drakes more then my females, they're friendlier.
And as for breeds, Muscovies can sometimes be unpredictable, but i love love 'em! You could try mixed breeds, they're great too. But Pekins would probably be the best starter.
Let us know what you get and decide!!
Thanks I will! I figured ducks were like geese and I’ve successfully incubated two clutches of goose eggs, but I guess not. My plans aren’t concrete I haven’t even gotten the eggs she was supposed to be giving me but if that falls through I will get already hatched ducklings.

Thanks I will! I figured ducks were like geese and I’ve successfully incubated two clutches of goose eggs, but I guess not. My plans aren’t concrete I haven’t even gotten the eggs she was supposed to be giving me but if that falls through I will get already hatched ducklings.
Yes, duck eggs tend to be different to hatch then many other species.
Hoping you have success!

So the lady got in touch with me yesterday telling me the eggs were ready. I went and picked them up, and now they are nestled in the incubator. If this attempt fails I will probably get already hatched ducks. She gave us six eggs, and told us if they didn’t work out we could get some more and try. I might later on but as for now like I said earlier if these don’t work out I’ll buy the ducklings. Has anybody had ok experiences with buying ducklings from Tractor Supply? I have read about people having horror stories but all my experiences with chicks has been fine besides some cross ups with breeds, which was totally ok with us.

So the lady got in touch with me yesterday telling me the eggs were ready. I went and picked them up, and now they are nestled in the incubator. If this attempt fails I will probably get already hatched ducks. She gave us six eggs, and told us if they didn’t work out we could get some more and try. I might later on but as for now like I said earlier if these don’t work out I’ll buy the ducklings. Has anybody had ok experiences with buying ducklings from Tractor Supply? I have read about people having horror stories but all my experiences with chicks has been fine besides some cross ups with breeds, which was totally ok with us.
All the ducks I’ve gotten from Tractor Supply and Atwood’s have been just fine other than one (from Atwood’s, but I’d imagine the same is just as likely to happen at TS). He was sick and I was a little worried about him making it but once he got some food, water, and electrolytes he was just fine in a couple of days

All the ducks I’ve gotten from Tractor Supply and Atwood’s have been just fine other than one (from Atwood’s, but I’d imagine the same is just as likely to happen at TS). He was sick and I was a little worried about him making it but once he got some food, water, and electrolytes he was just fine in a couple of days
Aww I’m glad! We got blue sapphires from TS and out of all of them we got one blue bantam but she was the best until something killed her. Also we had some golden comet chicks that ended up being a mixture of golden comet and red sex link chicks. At least all of them were female like we were told🤣

I’ve had good luck with ducks from TSC, I’ve bought ducks from there 2 different times, 2 years apart and no complaints! Both times in store, no online orders.

My son's first ducks were Pekins from Tractor Supplies. They are healthy, friendly and egg producers. One female -- a crested -- is very small and the noisiest duck in the world.

The only caution is that there are likely to be more males than females as I believe the hatcheries vent sex and sell separately sexed females and throw the males back in with the unsexed. My son was lucky and got two females and one drake and the three are very compatible. Actually his drake is a daft duck and keeps shooing off a third female that we introduced.

I want to surprise my sister, and as some of you guys know my parents wouldn’t let us have ducks for a while, but now since my sister loves them so much, they have given me the ok for at least two ducks. I have two options, hatch our own, or buy already hatched ducklings. I would prefer to hatch, because I feel there is a better connection between the chick/duckling/gosling or whatever you hatch😂, and you. I am trying to find local duck keepers so I could possibly obtain some eggs to incubate if I can’t find them though I will go to plan B which would be the already hatched ducklings. I’m really excited! I have a feeling that ducks are gonna be some awesome additions to our little farm! Also my sister likes the white pekin ducks, but I showed her a pic of a female Muscovy and she seemed to like that one as well. What do you guys think would be some friendly duck breeds? I will probably be trying to get two females cause I don’t want the drama of mating season that I hear ducks are known for.😂
Muscovies arent the best pet ducks, at least not drakes, I've heard they can be quite aggressive/territorial. Hatching does create a good bond, but you wont know how many will hatch or what sexes they will be. My suggestion is getting three drakes, they will be a little quieter than hens, since they don't "quack" and would surely make good pets if you choose a good breed. I like Pekins, and Aylesburies for their friendly nature, but these are big birds, you might want something smaller like a khaki campbell or runners. I don't know a lot about duck breeds, I only keep pekins/aylesbury mixes, but that's my thoughts on the subject 😊

Oh wow! I found a lady just about 30 minutes ago that is going to give me an assortment of duck eggs!!!😁😁 Also if I hatch any males she will probably take them back and sell them, she has tons of chickens and ducks, rabbits, pigs, sheep, and goats that she breeds and sells.
oh that might work well then! I hope she finds good homes for the drakes and doesn't... You know

Thanks to everybody and their advice! We are currently marking two weeks incubation tomorrow. Last time we candled Tuesday all the eggs were fertile with healthy active ducklings. Will try and update again this week maybe on their progress. We will probably candle either tomorrow or the day after that.

Back
Top Bottom