My Snow is Molting!

CrystalPotter

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 14, 2014
Hi there! So I think my girl is molting, she has been loosing her big beautiful feathers the past couple days. She had been broody for a while here, since it is so dang cold here in Wisconsin.(-20 to 10 degrees) so they haven't been doing much. What should I do, supplement more protein, wont she get to cold? Also she had a little spot of frostbite in her comb. which I put vasoline on. HELP!!! Thanks!

I've been giving my chickens corn and raisins to get them up and moving and they have all been healthy so far except for a tiny spot of frostbite on our D'uccle. I think the chickens are a lot stronger than we give them credit for: this is our first winter with the birds, and everyone has survived, even the little Serama. Get a light bulb and put it wherever she is sleeping to provide a bit of warmth. Worst comes to worst, see if you can bring her inside for a few of the coldest days. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well. <3

She'll be fine! Trying to 'heat' the coop or one chicken invites more problems than it solves and can start a fire.
I have had several molters this winter, with very bare backs, and they are fine.

She'll be fine! Trying to 'heat' the coop or one chicken invites more problems than it solves and can start a fire.
I have had several molters this winter, with very bare backs, and they are fine.

Agreed. They will cozy up with their friends. Adding protein will help her grow in her feathers quicker.

Back
Top Bottom