My snowie celadon project, continued:

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
Today I reached stage 2 in my snowie celadon project. I moved 3 silver males into the main pen, and Tiger Millionaire, Aragorn, and Copper moved into the bachelor pad. Hopefully in a week I will be collecting eggs to hatch my first brood of silver het for celadons. Once they grow, I’ll cross silver hens back to a celadon male, and then the resulting silver celadon laying hens back to another celadon roo, and bam homogenous silver celadons. There will be other factors, like passing on Italian and fee, but I felt I’d start with silver as a main factor, but all 3 have Italian, one is manchurian.

The snowie hens are a disappointment. No manchurian hens, 7 maybe girls left in the pen, since I caught another crowing today, for a total of 10 males so far. Only 1 is laying, one of the 7 is a regular golden Italian, so not really useful to my program, but pretty. There are 2 lovely lavender girls tho.

my goal is for all the hens in my snowie pen to be double fee, silver, and then half of them Italian and half manchurian. The males will be double fee, non silver half manchurian half Italian. And all will be full clean crisp tuxes. I’ve got kind of a pot of stew and I’m trying to carefully break it down to the best parts lol, and I won’t really have it worked out to what I want it to be until next fall or winter.

I’ll post some pics of the new groupings later or tomorrow.

Did you ever get Snowie Celadons?
Sorry I’ve been working in the yard for the past week or so and barely had time for BYC.

I currently have 2 snowie celadon carrier males in the main pen with my celadon hens. I’ve been collecting their eggs for 2 days now. Later this week I’ll set my first group of eggs that will hopefully produce full celadon hens. I’ll have to wait until they start laying to determine which are full and which are carriers. Once I have some full celadon hens, I’ll match them to a full celadon roo, and all future hens will be celadons and I can start working on visual traits more, my end vision is all double fees, and tuxedos, with light gray spotting over the back. I have 2 snowies with blue eyes, mother and son, the son is beautiful, pale gray and white with purply pale gray over his back. I will be working him into the mix as well, plus hopefully more blue eyes from that line will be produced by the hen.

Here’s some pics of my 2 blue eyed birds. The camera never does them justice, maybe I need a real camera and not just my phone lol.

Not sure how well you can see this is the hen:
D24644A0-AFE5-4C30-9F52-0303BA902D81.jpeg

this is the male, I call him Prince, his mom is Amethyst.
DEA74ECD-EBAB-48F8-826A-06C6DE140BA3.jpeg

The top center egg in the bowl is from one of the young celadon carrier females, you can see a part in the middle of the egg if you look closely, that’s scratched and you can see the pale blue underneath. When I cracked it open it was blue inside. Some people claim that eggs that are blue inside are celadon carriers. I’m not certain if that’s true, from my original snowies, I had several that laid blue on the inside eggs, but none of the next generation laid blue, even though they are with a pure celadon roo, so either I had bad probability luck, or the blue inside doesn’t mean it’s a celadon carrier, and is just another independent trait.
9D12A739-4BF2-4AA4-A41B-E11CF5883F21.jpeg

The hen with inside blue eggs gave birth to a celadon when paired with a male celadon. Might be coincidence or not.
I’ve been tracking mine to see. I think it might be a gene that can just be expressed without other celadon qualities, but I’m still keeping an eye on them. It could be my bad luck since a carrier x celadon will produce 50/50 celadon and non celadons. So just like some people will hatch 10 straight run chicks and get all of one gender, I could have gotten a bad beat lol. I also have about 15 hens from the group, but only 3 are laying, maybe others will be blue layers, there’s still time.

Are the blue eyes linked to the snow trait, or can other colors have blue eyes too? I've never seen one with blue eyes. Sounds beautiful.
I think it is connected with the snowy line, but I don’t know if it can be crossed into others. My Myshire snowies and pearls had black eyes except for amethyst, who is also monstrously big, and lays eggs that don’t fit in the brinsea quail trays lol. So it might be a Texas a&m trait that was passed on from Myshire breeding them up for size.
CC93A4B2-5AA0-44FC-A1B7-B51FED34334C.jpeg

Amethysts eggs vs regular. I can only fill half the tray because I can’t put the divider in the middle, they’re too fat.

Back
Top Bottom