My snowie celadon project, continued:

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
Today I reached stage 2 in my snowie celadon project. I moved 3 silver males into the main pen, and Tiger Millionaire, Aragorn, and Copper moved into the bachelor pad. Hopefully in a week I will be collecting eggs to hatch my first brood of silver het for celadons. Once they grow, I’ll cross silver hens back to a celadon male, and then the resulting silver celadon laying hens back to another celadon roo, and bam homogenous silver celadons. There will be other factors, like passing on Italian and fee, but I felt I’d start with silver as a main factor, but all 3 have Italian, one is manchurian.

The snowie hens are a disappointment. No manchurian hens, 7 maybe girls left in the pen, since I caught another crowing today, for a total of 10 males so far. Only 1 is laying, one of the 7 is a regular golden Italian, so not really useful to my program, but pretty. There are 2 lovely lavender girls tho.

my goal is for all the hens in my snowie pen to be double fee, silver, and then half of them Italian and half manchurian. The males will be double fee, non silver half manchurian half Italian. And all will be full clean crisp tuxes. I’ve got kind of a pot of stew and I’m trying to carefully break it down to the best parts lol, and I won’t really have it worked out to what I want it to be until next fall or winter.

I’ll post some pics of the new groupings later or tomorrow.

I’ve been so ridiculously sick for 2 days I’ve barely been outside, luckily it was supposed to rain and I filled up all the food and water the night before I got sick. So Thursday I had set up for someone to pick up some of my adults, so as sick as I was, and practically puking in the dang yard, I collected the 19 birds that were leaving. My husband covered the pens Thursday night, and today was the first time I’ve been outside. I started redistributing the quail among the pens. I set my pharaoh tux Tiger Millionaire with 6 Tibetan tux ladies in the sex link pen, I left the tuxy scarlet male, and I added 6 celadon carrier/ snowies. I’m hoping for some celadon laying snowies, and new Tibetan tuxes to replace my older ladies.

So as I’m moving them around, I pick up this lovely lady that was very autumn amber fee looking as a chick, but has gotten a lot of silver as she’s matured, and I notice she has lovely blue eyes. I hope it’s visible in the pic, i tried to get it in good natural light.

858C99B5-5273-4600-92DB-BE4CDB53D8F9.jpeg
08C51042-0D9B-4BAC-B927-A1BD8FCD6E81.jpeg

I’ll be setting eggs including hers in about 2 weeks when my current eggs hatch, I’m super excited! In the bator now I have my first set of eggs from celadon ladies and snowie celadon carrier males, so I should get my first celadon laying snowies with luck!

Did you ever get Snowie Celadons?
Sorry I’ve been working in the yard for the past week or so and barely had time for BYC.

I currently have 2 snowie celadon carrier males in the main pen with my celadon hens. I’ve been collecting their eggs for 2 days now. Later this week I’ll set my first group of eggs that will hopefully produce full celadon hens. I’ll have to wait until they start laying to determine which are full and which are carriers. Once I have some full celadon hens, I’ll match them to a full celadon roo, and all future hens will be celadons and I can start working on visual traits more, my end vision is all double fees, and tuxedos, with light gray spotting over the back. I have 2 snowies with blue eyes, mother and son, the son is beautiful, pale gray and white with purply pale gray over his back. I will be working him into the mix as well, plus hopefully more blue eyes from that line will be produced by the hen.

The lovely pale chick in the previous post above is a male. I call him cotton candy. He’s really lovely.
75BF6813-D813-43E1-B2CC-1F89277C47AA.jpeg
3005CC47-8933-4335-BD1F-FA2EE8F49FCC.jpeg
B1D31F74-0EAF-4B0D-8B46-841467F4FD2D.jpeg
7C0D6C0F-8D78-4682-9AF1-FFF9D20199E7.jpeg

I feel like there must be some kind of sex link activity going on with my snowies. Perhaps roux is messing everything up. I know my original snowie manchurian carries roux, plus many of my celadon hens are roux. I’m going to be crossing snowies only to non roux now to see if it helps, but I have 0 female snowies, several pearls and several dirty pearls, an Italian and 2 autumn ambers with fee and silver.

My oldest snowie carrier x celadons:(sorry it’s raining)
0EEAFC70-07E7-44A6-B50F-CCF57B073FB0.jpeg

They’re housed with my Tibetan hens, with a messy scarlet tux male and a pharaoh tux male, until I finish taking down the old pen and putting up the new one.

Here’s some of the younger group, a few nicer pearl hens, the lovely little snowie in the back center is the male, there were 4 snowie males to choose from, he was the prettiest, and I also kept cotton candy.
B3849B39-0C0C-492B-A4C3-EBF6BDC06224.jpeg

I have several eggs incubating now that are from this pen, normally I pair the carriers to my celadons, but these guys are still growing out, not everyone is laying so I didn’t move them around yet. With carrier to carrier, it’s only like a 25% chance a hen will lay blue in the next gen, but I hope at least one, maybe 2 lay blue. Once the males are big enough to handle the male jail, I’ll be moving Tiger Millionaire in there to make babies.

On to the rest of the project update, the carriers all lay lovely eggs. All are blue inside, some are blue or green speckled. Here are some I grabbed this morning:
FE223A77-960E-44C5-AA93-8ED1E5E7BE27.jpeg

I have about 14 hens from snowies x celadons so far. I feel like 3-4 lay blue based on the eggs I’m collecting. Since Snowflake the double silver only mates Baldi, I’ve been bringing in hens one at a time to live in that cage until I see them lay. Then I band them based on their egg color, and switch them with another unknown. I identified one definite blue layer so far. I have about 14 more snowie celadon carriers x celadon chicks that are almost 2 weeks. Of them, about 5 are really nice snowies so far, I’m hoping at least one will be a blue laying hen.

Last edited:
Here’s an interesting chick, it looks fluffy because it has this fine pencilling. It came from the snowie celadon carriers x celadons.
9E1483F7-7E1A-4248-AF0C-95A638264C29.jpeg
2928B10E-ADC0-4568-AF7F-F5D7808D4D14.jpeg
6DDAB6DC-9B3F-426C-9991-E1098208A46E.jpeg

the next one is with some normal scarlets, the chick is the bottom center one
D59E6C91-2A69-498E-8C46-404C72F8ECCC.jpeg

The new batch of snowie celadon carriers x celadons chicks are getting so big. Here’s a photo of the keepers, I moved the scarlets and Egyptians to another brooder for the sake of space. I’m keeping the 2 scarlet tux hens so I left them with the silvers, and I’m on the fence if I’ll keep the Tibetan tux boy, I have a big group of snowie project and tuxedos hatching this week, so I’ll see what I get from there, but they aren’t sex links.

C6795D9B-F5F6-4556-96F1-14A3DBAB43C1.jpeg

Here they are in a bin while I cleaned their cage.

The gray tux bottom center is my favorite, I call it Angel, I’m really hoping it’s a blue layer hen, half the hens should lay blue. If it’s a boy, I’ll probably keep it anyway and I’ll have to cull cotton candy. It’s wings are completely white, and I suspect it’s progressive white and will get some white back spots as it ages, I have another similar tux that happened with, similar tux pattern, less lovely color haha.

Here they are at happy hour:
06E7DEDD-B7BB-4B30-9B37-E1C9F9119DC1.jpeg

Are the blue eyes linked to the snow trait, or can other colors have blue eyes too? I've never seen one with blue eyes. Sounds beautiful.
I think it is connected with the snowy line, but I don’t know if it can be crossed into others. My Myshire snowies and pearls had black eyes except for amethyst, who is also monstrously big, and lays eggs that don’t fit in the brinsea quail trays lol. So it might be a Texas a&m trait that was passed on from Myshire breeding them up for size.
CC93A4B2-5AA0-44FC-A1B7-B51FED34334C.jpeg

Amethysts eggs vs regular. I can only fill half the tray because I can’t put the divider in the middle, they’re too fat.

I
I think it is connected with the snowy line, but I don’t know if it can be crossed into others. My Myshire snowies and pearls had black eyes except for amethyst, who is also monstrously big, and lays eggs that don’t fit in the brinsea quail trays lol. So it might be a Texas a&m trait that was passed on from Myshire breeding them up for size.View attachment 2574964
Amethysts eggs vs regular. I can only fill half the tray because I can’t put the divider in the middle, they’re too fat.
I'd love celadon snowies!

Back
Top Bottom