My solution to an egg eater

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pacanis, Mar 12, 2015.

1. pacanis

pacanis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    Hi folks. Been a looooooong time since I've been here, but I got new chicks last May and here I am again.
    I had to share this because it works and I hadn't seen it done before.

So anyway, because they are young they've been laying right through winter, but one or more became an egg eater a few weeks ago. I tried a few things I read with cat food and removing the shavings from the nest box, but that didn't work. It probably didn't help that the temps made egg collecting without a cracked egg or two near impossible. How could the culprit(s) resist? Anyway, here's what I came up with.

I've got an outside nest box as you can see, so I needed to come up with a way to roll the eggs away from the chickens without reconstructing the whole thing.
    I took a couple pieces of baluster railing that I had left over from a deck and put them up towards the front of the nestbox.
    Then I rested some subfloor on top, creating an inclined false floor of sorts.
    Then I made a couple pieces that allowed the eggs to roll under, in essence hiding the eggs, but could be flipped up for collection. I put a "lip" on it because that's what the nestbox dictated on account of where I had it hinged and the eggs were too exposed.

Everything was done kind of impromptu because to tell the truth, it was dang cold outside to be fooling around with such things, but I wanted to try to break the habit quick and hopefully this summer I can have some nice shaving in there again. Their feet have been dirtying up the eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And chickens not exactly being dumb, it didn't take long for them to figure out how to flip up that cover and expose the eggs, so I put some pegs in to keep it down.
    [​IMG]

I hope this give some folks some ideas. I think it's kind of slick. It keeps the eggs in the box/coop, but away from the chickens.

2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    great idea! as long as the culprit can't get to the eggs, it'll work!

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That's pretty slick! There's nothing wrong with quick and simple, after all, necessity is the mother of invention! [​IMG]

4. pacanis

pacanis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    NW PA
    Thanks!
    I'm hoping it's enough of a deterrent, coupled with them starting to go outside again, that whoever was eating the eggs will forget all about it.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by