My son did not have a good time at a lock in

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 17, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    It was gaming night. I do not like this more modern culture. I am going to be relooking at my values on the games I guess.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Well what happened that he didn't like. Did he not know how to play the games? Did he feel bad about himself? Was he teased? It can be really hard on our kids when we don't go with the flow of modern culture. The best thing imo that we can do is try and strike a balance. There are very few that have all the games that aren't swimming in debt. We always wait till any system is out long enough for a good price drop and we love GameStop for used games. Also my kids are total gamers. But it has been great knowing that when they get together with their friends that is what they do and they aren't out smoking, drinking or cow tipping. As long as they have a lot of things going on like sports, band, games, church groups (if you go to church) they will be busy, have common interests with their friends, and not feel self conscious about not having a certain thing that some others do.

My recommendation for a gaming system that is family friendly is the Wii. Start out with Wii Sports Resort and a Mario Party or Mario Kart game. They are family friendly great games for younger players and you don't have to constantly game to be good and have a great time. Plus us parents who aren't gamers have a blast with them as well. Also if you have Netflix streaming you can watch it through your Wii. You won't be sacrificing your values with these. Oh and all the games are rated so you will know that you won't be getting something too mature for the younger gamer.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am really behind the times,because I don't even have any idea what a lock in is. I am very hesitant when the kids ask to play games online,but so far it has gone ok.

What were the issues your son had? Mine are younger so in a few years I might deal with it as well.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    OK, hte OP edited out most of her post, so I really do not know what hte issues are, but a lock in is where parents take thier minor kids someplace and they spend the night there. In some cases it is a special group, such as a church youth group, scouts, etc., and the kids usually know each other, although some may bring friends, they are well-chaperoned and activities are planned out. In other cases places such as laser tag places, gaming stores (where you rent time on the computers to games with your friends) or other public locations that are probably not well-chaperoned, and while some of the people present may know each other, the liklihood is that most only know the friends they came with. About the only really safe thing is that they cannot leave until the doors are opened in the morning. When my kids were minors, we never let them attend this later kind of lock-in, but the former were usually okay.

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Lol yea I edited because the version I got was before he got any sleep. They stayed up all night. The 2nd version where he was conscious was better. He was able to play with the other kids some who were playing games that were E and T. I bought him some new games that were a bit more mature but still in the E and T categories for the lock in. Problem is other kids could not play most of the games brought to the lock in. They were M ( mature). Mine cannot play those either. His 2 best friends played Halo all night which is a banned game for his still. So he was upset.

We talked long and hard about it and even got a bit of imput from the scout master. Next time we are bringing our tv sets so more boys can hook up games and we are bringing games everyone can play . That was the problem. This was the first time they were going to just do gaming all night. It went poorly and they were told that there will not be another lock in like this. Games can be brought but Lots of other activities will be planned because lots of boys were upset. Initially I was going to start asking for Mature games that others let their younger ones play that were not too graphic but after talking to everyone once they had slept a bit we just will be volunteering for the next lock in to make sure there is more to do and everyone can be included.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by