My son wants an "ugly" chicken

What happened to him?
He drowned in a horse trough. I still have his sisters and am hoping to get a blue quail pair this spring. He was literally a friendly male though. He loved to crow and wouldn't run away. One sister is normal and a bit friendly and the other had something wrong with her legs (Think she was kicked by one of our ewes as a youngster) and she's a literal pet. If you aren't giving her attention, she'll jump onto your back or shoulder

He drowned in a horse trough. I still have his sisters and am hoping to get a blue quail pair this spring. He was literally a friendly male though. He loved to crow and wouldn't run away. One sister is normal and a bit friendly and the other had something wrong with her legs (Think she was kicked by one of our ewes as a youngster) and she's a literal pet. If you aren't giving her attention, she'll jump onto your back or shoulder
That's sad. Sorry you lost him.

I have a D'uccle hen who thinks she's people :lol: . To bad she doesn't lay anymore, I wanted babies from her so badly.

He wants in his words an ugly chicken in the flock. So here I am seeking options of breeds or mixes that might fit his category of choice. ... So strange color combos would probably work in his mind as well seeing as we tend to lean towards black colored breeds.
Maybe Bielefelder or Cream Legbar? Their colors look kind of ugly to me. Bielefelders get big and lay brown eggs. Cream Legbars have a little tuft of feathers on the back of their head and lay blue eggs.

As others have said, Turkens are ugly but apparently good layers, and they are common enough that they are fairly easy to get.

Just a warning about some of the other breeds that have been mentioned:
--chickens with crest feathers that hang over their eyes sometimes have trouble seeing, which can lead to other chickens bullying them. Polish and Silkies both have crests, so this could be an issue with them.

--Oddly textured feathers don't keep out rain or wind or cold as well as normal feathers. This applies to the hairy feathers on Silkies and sticking out feathers on Frizzles. Depending on your weather and your chicken coop arrangement, this may or may not be a problem for you.

It's official.. there are plenty of ugly birds to choose from! :lol:

@MysteryChicken some of yours definitely take the cake, lol. :drool

Add in the NN gene and you're set, maybe we can find a market for ugly birds only and make it YOUR claim to fame! :lau
I actually would like to get some Naked Necks to experiment with. But my mom thinks they're ugly. I might get some next year anyways 🤣 .

Back
Top Bottom