My Sons' New Pet???

From personal experience I can say that they are very soft and cuddly when they are playing dead. When I was a kid we would leave ice-cream buckets with dog food out for our dogs and possums would get in the bucket, get caught by the dogs, and I would go out to find what they were barking at. Animal control was always my job, so I would pick the possums up, carry them over to the fence and drop them over so that they would have a head start as the dogs ran for the hole in the fence. Never once did they try to bite me. Now, if I saw my son cuddling a possum I would probably have a heart attack.

Oh yes I agree!
I have taken many a predator for a ride in the country! Lots of snakes and possum's! Thanks for sharing!
lau.gif

Bunny in NC
bun.gif

Quote:
Would you mind coming by and telling that to the one that runs along the top of my fence every night? It didn't get the word. It's really creepy to be sitting out on the bench in the back and have this critter run along right beside me on top of that fence.
idunno.gif

I guess some folks do think possums are cute.But I know for a fact they really go after my chickens.I have caught 4 in live traps in the past 3 months and one that was after hens one night about a week ago got whacked with a big stick,yes,to the end.I heard the hens about 11 one night and ran out with a light but forgot the gun.When I got to the henhouse one hen was on the ground and a possum was on the roost.Grapped the closest big stick and Whack!I figure if there is not enough for them to eat in the wild and they kill my chickens,they are a problem possum.I'too,love the critters and am guilty of raising baby possums one year about 15 years ago.Found a roadkill ma with 8 baby still alive on her.Brought'em home and raised them to just about big enough to release and wouldn't you know it but my boys turned them out one day and set them free.In my yard.I had planned to release them on our other property 5 miles away.I don't have any livestock there so I was gonna just leave them in the old barn with food and let them leave on their own.So much for trying to help.Oh,well.My boys are 19 and 21 now and they still bring me critters.Gotta love those kids.
smile.png
big_smile.png

I certainly can't speak for all of them but most of the ones i have seen in the trees are young. As adults they can weigh the same as an a large housecat. All of our program opossum are kept in natural outdoor enclosures with tree limbs, etc. for climbing and once they have reached full size, we have observed that they spend most if not all of their time on the ground. They can only hang from their tails as babies too. At adult size, their prehensile tail is then used for gathering leaves, and nesting materials and can no longer support their body weight with their tail as they did when they are youngsters.
I know people have had them attack chickens. I have spotted them in the evening roaming all around our backyard but have never had a problem with them, but i'm sure it differs for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom