My soon to be new coops!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Barnyard, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Not sure where I should have posted this, but I figured it would be better here because I am rambling [​IMG]

I went to pick up some pallets yesterday that were beside the road. They were made pretty good and I figured I could use them to make a coop with. Well when I got there they were gone. Now mind you this was a 45 minute drive. As I turned around to leave I saw these huge stacks of wood. They looked liked walls that somebody had just stacked up. OH my goodness. Upon further inspection they were shipping crates that had been taking apart in sections. I quickly went in the building and asked what they were going to do with them. They told me to get all I wanted there are free. I almost jumped out of my skin. I could not get them in the truck, so I had to drive all the way back home , get another truck and trailor and go back. Luckely we got there before they closed and the men used a forklift and loaded my trailor for me. Did I luck up or what [​IMG] I am headed back today to get some more if they are not all gone. Just thought I would share.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. ShelleyInAlberta

ShelleyInAlberta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Sherwood Park, Alberta
    Awesome [​IMG] free Coop building supplies are the way to go.

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I know. I had been looking everywhere for soemething like this. Just luckily the company had just finished a big job

4. ShelleyInAlberta

ShelleyInAlberta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Sherwood Park, Alberta
    ya never know what you'll find when your out and about... always take the pick up truck just in case you find something good and useful [​IMG]

5. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice find. I called dibs on a shipping crate at work as soon as I saw it, unfortunately by the time I was given the ok to get it two of the walls had been taken by another employee!!! [​IMG] Ruined my plans but still got some nice tongue and groove and various other pieces. You must post some pics when you get building [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh I will. I will also post pics of what I have so far and what I will have in the next few day's!!

7. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    Now you can make a bigger coop....you won't be sorry.
    HappyHatch'en

8. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    What was the company what did they do because i have been looking for crates and was just wondering what companies to look for thanks.

9. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I lucked up and found these beside the road. The guy I talked to said that the crates carried big machine's of some sort. Sorry that I all I know. I will find out more tomorrow.

I went back yesterday to get more and they were all gone, ugh!! I was so upset.

10. denimangle

denimangle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Butler Texas
    pallets are great things .. I use them for lots of things around here. Under the dog houses to put the feeders & waters on ..in their kennels to get them off the ground .the best part is they are FREE
    Cheryl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by