My Spoiled Little Chirpies!

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I have had chickens now for about three years. I love those fluffy little creatures. I have lost three to predators. I had only kept two at a time; when one disappeared, I got another. My remaining chicken and I grieved the loss of our little friend. The first time, I moved their coop and kept a closer eye on them; the second time, I moved them again. This area was fenced in, close to the house, and I thought safe. This time I completely redid my chicken run, kept them in, and protected, I thought, and one night a possum got in. It worked it's way into a small hole in the coop. The next morning I found my favorite girl, Wendigo...All I could do is cry. I thought I had done everything right.

I thought about giving up, but, as chicken lovers, you know that is not a feasible option. This time, I reinforced and expanded the area. My sweetheart took me to look at some chicks and three followed us home. We now have a flock of four, they just were put into the same area after spending their teenage days in a very secure area built by my son.

I have been looking at different coops and designs and run ideas. I have some pictures in my head and sketches drawn. I have all the hardware cloth purchased and waiting. This area will be safe and secure for my sweet little chirpies.

After a visit with my elderly mother-in-law, I was going to start. While shopping with her, I took a nasty fall and badly hurt my knee. Did I mention that I am 67, fearless, and will build this happy little spot myself? So, while this is all on hold while my knee mends, I have a little more time to come up with a perfect design. My sweet little chickens have an insulated water cooler and today they got their own 11' solar lit, umbrella. The water cooler will become their "water tower." Maybe by the time it starts to cool off in South Mississippi, I can start on their new chicken town.

Attachments

• water cooler.jpg
    water cooler.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 14
  • chicken umbrella.jpg
    chicken umbrella.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 13
My very best wishes for your build (I am a novice carpenter; my projects often do the job but will never win design awards) and for your new flock. And, your physical recovery!!

My very best wishes for your build (I am a novice carpenter; my projects often do the job but will never win design awards) and for your new flock. And, your physical recovery!!
Thank you; as my little sister, Anita, says, "It is never easy living through a good story!" I am no expert, but, I am like The Little Engine That Could; "I think I can; I think I can!"

Back
Top Bottom