1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My spoiled roo is crowing non-stop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DangerChickenHouse, Dec 23, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    He crows like a dog barks: at strangers walking by, at me pulling out of the driveway, at me pulling into the driveway, at me if he sees me and I haven't let him out to free-range, and at any point that he wants attention.

The problem:
    He also starts crowing very early (5:30am? maybe sooner) and when I go to look, he looks half asleep.
    1. Is my rooster crowing in his sleep?
    2. He is 5 months old. Will he start crowing less as he matures?
    3. Why does he crow non-stop from 5:30am - 7:30am
    4. Is there anything I can do to keep him silenced during the sleeping hours?

I understand that he is going to crow. I'm okay with that. It's the before daylight crowing that is the problem. The sun doesn't rise until after 7am.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have a roo that crows for attention too. It doesn't matter what time it is. If he sees a light in the house or hears one of us talking, he crows. Unfortunately, he taught all of the new roosters to crow too. They don't know why they crow, they just crow....all day......all night. [​IMG] It has not improved with age.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    IME it got worse with age. Most of mine started around 16-17 weeks of age with a couple of crows first thing in the morning - and progressed to all day every day by the time they were 25 weeks or so....

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I put mine in a dark dog house by himself because he was starting at 3am, I have a solar light that gives him light inside for a couple hours, when I put him to bed...So now he starts around 5-6am and he is muffled. Hopefully my neighbors aren't bothered. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I was wondering if part of the problem was that he was going to bed so early. He puts himself to bed when it's dark. Maybe I can try to keep him up longer.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's why I put one of those cheap stick in the ground solar lights though the side of his house (stake removed) facing the sun, so he stays up longer, and with out any other light coming in it throws his clock off. I'm hoping when summer comes and all that extra day light he'll go back to crowing at 8am. [​IMG]

7. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    It's a misconception that roos crow only in the daytime. As long as there is light or noise to startle them, they will crow. Want a quiet roo? Keep him totally in the dark.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess I should shut up the coop and turn the light off, but then the hens would stop laying...

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have gone out at 4am to turn on the light,and sometimes I hear my roo crowing.Kinda stinks since I got A LOT of neighbors. There are days he crows and crows,and other days I hear dogs never him. He is around 2yo I think. Some roos just crow more than others. I know what does NOT help-chasing him around yelling at him to shut up.He will stop,but the second you stop chasing he will start crowing all over again,lol.

Some say covering the coop windows helps,and it might be worth a try. I don't think my Jack would care either way.

That is funny that yours is crowing in his sleep. I wish I could peek in on mine to see if he was doing the same.

If he is an otherwise good roo I would say tolerate it. I like my roo and only worry about the neighbors reaction to the crowing otherwise I think: let him crow till he looses his voice.

10. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Mine also crows like a dog barks when people come over or any activity is happening. His crowing is now tapering off as he approaches 1 yr. He crows most in the morning and then is silent most of the day (if no visitors), good boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by