My Strange Rooster

eatnails

Hatching
Dec 9, 2022
Hello all.

Apparently living at the end of a dead-end street means I'm going to be graced with unwanted animals quite frequently. In the last year, we've had 4 roosters, 2 hens, and 2 cats dropped over our fence.

When I found the rooster pictured below, I just figured he was young and dirty. Now I'm thinking he's really old. He doesn't chase the girls much, and none of the other roosters bother him at all.

He's quite small compared to my others, and has a really unique song, though it's rare for him to sing.

I'd just like to know a bit more about him.
20221124_144526_008.jpg

20221209_090412.jpg

20221209_090518.jpg

Hello all.

Apparently living at the end of a dead-end street means I'm going to be graced with unwanted animals quite frequently. In the last year, we've had 4 roosters, 2 hens, and 2 cats dropped over our fence.

When I found the rooster pictured below, I just figured he was young and dirty. Now I'm thinking he's really old. He doesn't chase the girls much, and none of the other roosters bother him at all.

He's quite small compared to my others, and has a really unique song, though it's rare for him to sing.

I'd just like to know a bit more about him.
View attachment 3345205

View attachment 3345207

View attachment 3345208
He looks like he could be a mix. Really pretty though. Does he get picked on at all? Younger roos are known to pick on elder roos a lot. At least some are. My silky roo managed to get the upper hand on my much older easter egger roo. To the point where he got really weak and sick. I swear we thought we were gonna lose our best roo because of that shrimp. Needless to say goldy was separated with the other silkies, and big red recovered because of our intervention.

He looks like he could be a mix. Really pretty though. Does he get picked on at all? Younger roos are known to pick on elder roos a lot. At least some are. My silky roo managed to get the upper hand on my much older easter egger roo. To the point where he got really weak and sick. I swear we thought we were gonna lose our best roo because of that shrimp. Needless to say goldy was separated with the other silkies, and big red recovered because of our intervention.

They just all leave him alone. If he joins in the flock, the other roos will swipe at him, but it's just an off-handed kind of thing. He'll perch right next to them at night though. He seems a bit frail maybe, and I will definitely intervene if they do get on him.

They just all leave him alone. If he joins in the flock, the other roos will swipe at him, but it's just an off-handed kind of thing. He'll perch right next to them at night though. He seems a bit frail maybe, and I will definitely intervene if they do get on him.
Alright

He does look frail. Could be a sign of him being older, or maybe he just doesn't have a strong constitution.

I am not seeing 5th toes, but maybe they just aren't apparent in the photos. Faverolles have 5 toes, and that gene is usually passed on even when they are crossed with something else. In body type and coloring he resembled a Faverolles or even a Dorking, but he is probably mixed, not pure.

Back
Top Bottom