My strong layer has stopped laying...

NeseO

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014
North California
My lady has finished her molt and jumped back on the laying band wagon with no problems. One day while cleaning the coop I notice some blood on the poop and after further examining some on her behind feathers. She laid her egg that day and hasn't laid one since (about 2 weeks). She is acting her usual goofy self. I immediately treated her for cocci when I saw the blood, but now I'm wondering if that was even it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
She could also have capillaria worms (hairworm) which can cause bleeding, or maybe another hen pecked her vent. Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally for a standard hen, then repeated in 10 days would treat capillaria worms. She also may be slowing her laying for winter due to shorter daylight periods.

Some chickens will take a break from laying in the shorter days of winter. Brand new 1st season layers can keep laying, but it all depends on the breed. Worms can slow down laying. Some people including myself will add a few extra hours of light in the coop in early morning to provide at least 12 hours of daylight to keep birds laying in winter. My timer with light comes on at 5 AM, and the chickens naturally go to bed at dusk around 5 PM.

Back
Top Bottom