My Stucco chicken coop, on the works..........

Quote:
Thats wicked Nava! I see El W hard at work and your handsome nephew too-congrats--can you send El W up here when he's done there?? Id love a Floridian looking coop!!!

well Nat all you have to do is move down here
lol.png
want me to add you to the wants to be a Floridian in the FL thread?
frow.gif

lau.gif

Hey Nava,

I love the idea of the stairs, instead of ramp. That's way cool. And so darn cute too. And to see a naked neck going up is hilarious. Got me smiling for sure.

Nice coop going there...

Quote:
well Nat all you have to do is move down here
lol.png
want me to add you to the wants to be a Floridian in the FL thread?
frow.gif

lau.gif

Id love too! My in laws live there 3-4 months a year between boyton beach and Lake Placid:)

Quote:
the floor is going to be welded wire mesh 1/2"X1" plus the window openings that are going to have wire mesh too and there is an opening on top around the whole coop, wire mesh soffit for the air to flow,I hope that next week we have the Stucco done.
thanks.

You may find that a wire floor is not all that good an idea. First of all, wire is hard on chicken feet. I sometimes have kept one or two of our very small bantams indoors at night in a large bird cage with a wire bottom (1/2" by 6" wire spacing), and my experience is that even small bantam poop mostly catches on the wire rather than falls through. Standard size chicken poop is going to catch on the wire even more, I'd imagine.

I don't know what your climate is, but in winter a wire floor will likely create a draft with cold air sinking through the wire floor. With a wire floor, you won't be able to put down any bedding, whether sand or shavings.

Finally, I've read about people who keep birds in raised cages having predators grab and bite bird's feet through the wire of the cage floor. On the dove page, people have reported birds being grabbed by raccoons through 1/2" by 1" wire. Something to think about.

Quote:
the floor is going to be welded wire mesh 1/2"X1" plus the window openings that are going to have wire mesh too and there is an opening on top around the whole coop, wire mesh soffit for the air to flow,I hope that next week we have the Stucco done.
thanks.

You may find that a wire floor is not all that good an idea. First of all, wire is hard on chicken feet. I sometimes have kept one or two of our very small bantams indoors at night in a large bird cage with a wire bottom (1/2" by 6" wire spacing), and my experience is that even small bantam poop mostly catches on the wire rather than falls through. Standard size chicken poop is going to catch on the wire even more, I'd imagine.
I'll keep my eye on that, I will also be cleaning it regularly and they are only gona use it to sleep in as they will have a choise to either free range or run in the 16X12 run

I don't know what your climate is, but in winter a wire floor will likely create a draft with cold air sinking through the wire floor. With a wire floor, you won't be able to put down any bedding, whether sand or shavings.
they have sand in the run, and I live in FL not to cold here

Finally, I've read about people who keep birds in raised cages having predators grab and bite bird's feet through the wire of the cage floor. On the dove page, people have reported birds being grabbed by raccoons through 1/2" by 1" wire. Something to think about.

I have a 4X8 chick brooder with wire mesh outside, since last year and have not lost a bird to a predator, I guess my dogs are dong their job
big_smile.png

Dane
38176_darla_001.jpg

Outside Brooder
38176_chicks_078.jpg

Back
Top Bottom