My sweet baby is staggering around acting drunk. HELP!

hmm, ill have to research wry neck...thanks!

UPDATE* the only symptom she's really missing is the actual WRY neck.......maybe its Marek's transient paralysis like someone said earlier.....ugh! so frustrating. I will treat with vitamins and Poly-vi-sol anyway just to be sure.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
As long as you don't overdo the vitamins it can't hurt. TSC has an electrolyte/vitamin powder that I use. It takes just a pinch in a small water container, and I mix it fresh every time I refill (at least once daily). As for wry neck, it's kind of unusual (but not unheard of) to have the other symptoms without the stargazing, and it gets progressively worse unless treatment is initiated and is effective. Marek's transient paralysis generally causes "split leg," i.e. one leg will go forward and the other back, and the paralysis disappears within 24-48 hours. The condition is also usually accompanied by heavy panting. While you can't rule either of these conditions out, I still think it sounds more like heat prostration or even heat stroke. The impact of this can linger depending on the level of systemic damage done by the elevated body temp and the reduced neurological functions. At any rate, this is a more hopeful possibility, as recovery from heat injury is more likely than recovery from Marek's (NOT a treatable disease), and with Wry Neck, recovery depends entirely on the cause (as some birds seem genetically predisposed to it and have a poor prognosis, while others respond to nutritional therapy). Since the treatment for Wry Neck is nutritional (a good strategy for any recuperating bird) and the treatment for heat stroke once the immediate danger is past is also nutritional (along with plenty of patience), if this were my bird and if symptoms did not get worse, I would just focus on really boosting fluid intake, feeding lots of good grub, and practicing meditation, yoga, whatever (lol) to keep my sanity while I waited it out! So basically, it sounds like you are doing everything you can for the bird. Now close your eyes, breath slowly and deeply, and repeat after me ..... ooooohhhhhmmmmmm, oooooohhhhhmmmm .....

Thanks! You have made me feel better and I def will try the vitamin therapy. I was hoping it is a treatable condition and from what you have told me it sounds like it may be. Thats what stumps me really is her symptoms are non specific and can fit a number of things but not fully......I will stop by TSC today! My vitpak/electrolyte powder that I got with the chicks and still using got wet and hardened so I threw it away. Hopefully Patricia my Welsummer will be better soon!

UPDATE* Yesterday she seemed worse. Now when she walks....It no longer looks drunk but she highsteps so much that her toes snag underneath her wings and she trips. She's also still uncoordinated and several times she isolated herself away from the other birds. She went in the coop early and This morning when everyone came down into the run. She stayed behind in the coop. :-( I think she's depressed but her appetite and water intake is still good. Day two of Electrolytes and Vitamins....any idea anyone??

I honestly would try and separate/isolate her if you can. Not only for her well-being and preventing her getting trampled or picked on but for the sake of your other birds. If she does in fact have something contagious you are putting your other birds at risk, too. I would also be worried about her trying to roost if you have high perches, she can definitely injure herself going up or down.

WELL. she actually seems a little better. Still having issues with walking and the high stepping but Ive actually seen her running for a short distance and then of course tripping. One difference I have seen that instead of sitting in her usual spot in my iris bed, she now goes down to the garden with the others to pick and scratch. She's actually being social. For me, that a big improvement because she use to just want to be alone....the jurys still out but I will keep everyone posted. Still dont know what is afflicting her. I know I should probably isolate her but in my moms words, it just brreaks my heart to see her stretchhing her neck trying to see what the others are doing while shes stuck in a cage. I am treating the whole flock so we'll see. Thanks for your concern! :)

2 of my ee's were acting like that on one our hottest days here in central ca. so I sliced an ice cold cucumber down the middle and gave it to them.It was only a few minutes and they were back to normal

Quote:
Someone else told me it could be a delayed heat exhaustion issue. Though we had some hot days the coop actually stayed relatively cool. And while most people didnt have any rain, we did get occasional rain. I have started them back on electrolytes and vitamins and frequently give them tomatoes and watermelon, etc. This is day 8 so far....only time will tell.. Thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom