My sweet Rooster is stomping and pecking submissive hen.

JunieBird

Hatching
Sep 19, 2021
My Charlie boy and 3 older hens (all RIR) have been together for 3 years now. Last summer I was given a young rooster and a hen (not sure of breed. Both are black with gorgeous feathers and June looks like a polish and lays blue eggs) I had kept both sets in different coops. They would free range and fight occasionally but pretty much let each other alone. Unfortunately the rooster didn’t work out. So my hen June was alone. My neighbor gave me 2 RIR that went into the coop with June and they get along great. I decided I needed to add some more hens into the flock. Purchased 6 young feathered pullets (4 australorps and 2 Wyandottes) and put them in with June and the 2 reds. All is going great. So I decided to supervise and put them all together. Charlie is great with the young ones and the new reds but for some reason is stomping and pecking on my very submissive June. The older reds then come join him in the pecking. So I put him by himself and let all the hens together. Once again all is going good then I add him back and he starts the same thing. I have tried this 4x now with the same result. I would hate to break up the established flock but also hate that Charlie is alone now. Why is he doing this to her and What should I do?? Keep them separated? Just put all the RIR with him and let June and youngsters together? TIA

Attachments

• 3E3639BF-BC10-4792-AA79-7F57776F7D60.jpeg
    3E3639BF-BC10-4792-AA79-7F57776F7D60.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 25
  • E0DFCEA6-BE8D-4273-B350-750C8C6829EB.jpeg
    E0DFCEA6-BE8D-4273-B350-750C8C6829EB.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 7
I'd get rid of him.
Why do you want a male?
I would love for them to hatch their own. He has always been a great protector of his girls in the past when free ranging. Also, he’s amazing other then this recent issue.

June was with the rooster that fought with Charlie and his flock when they free ranged. Now that you got rid of the rooster June was with she could possibly be killed if she's not removed too. You can get a new rooster and keep June or get rid of June and keep Charlie

Last edited:
Thanks but Why won’t he accept her??
The fact that you didn't give the black rooster any more hens is irrelevant. His "flock"(June) fought Charlie and his flock and had nothing to do with Charlies 's even when they weren't fighting)Junes an enemy from another flock that he had to fight to protect his own flock. He still sees her as a threat .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom