My sweet Stella is way off this am.

A lowered tail signifies that she is weak and sick, and it especially can be from a reproductive problem. Those are common in hens, usually over 2 years old, but are sometimes seen in younger pullets. I would keep an eye on her crop, to make sure there is some food in there by evening, but that it empties normally by morning. Crop problems can also make them feel bad.

A lowered tail signifies that she is weak and sick, and it especially can be from a reproductive problem. Those are common in hens, usually over 2 years old, but are sometimes seen in younger pullets. I would keep an eye on her crop, to make sure there is some food in there by evening, but that it empties normally by morning. Crop problems can also make them feel bad.
This am she still has something in her crop. Her droppings are normal but she has no intentions of eating. I have given her water with a dropper and found a vet. I am taking her this am. I need to use this as a learning experience. She seems to have a wheeze. She has had an amazing start to this life, hoping we can get her through this.

This am she still has something in her crop. Her droppings are normal but she has no intentions of eating. I have given her water with a dropper and found a vet. I am taking her this am. I need to use this as a learning experience. She seems to have a wheeze. She has had an amazing start to this life, hoping we can get her through this.
I'm so glad she can go to a vet. You are doing your best, and it sounds like she's in good care. Hopefully she pulls through! :hugs

Yes I hope it’s nothing serious! I bet she’ll pull through, seeing as your being so good about monitoring her and being so attentive to her needs! I wish you good luck!

Take some fresh droppings in a ziplock bag so they can do a fecal float to look for worms and coccidiosis. Let us know what the vet thinks. Having contents in the crop in early morning could mean that her crop is slowed down or a crop disorder might be emminent.

Vet says she presents well, good body condition and no mats in crop even though it is full. No discharges no immediate signs of anything specific. Took swaps of droppings, saliva. Checking now to see if anything shows. Will probably need to dropper feed her for a few days till feeling better. No signs of respiratory distress. No egg bound. If antibiotics are in order she will have to be separated for another few weeks and eggs thrown out. I hope that is the case and nothing overly major. I will hand feed her back to health for sure. I adore this girl.

Hopefully the swabs will give a clue. Her full crop, is it full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Crop disorders can be bacterial or fungal (yeast, candida) infections or overgrowth. In my experience, crop problems can be a secondary issue related to another primary problem, such as reproductive disorder. If she has a yeast infection, most vets will prescribe Nystatin or Medistatin antifungal medication. Sometimes there can be a combination of bacteria and yeast, and both antibiotic and antifungal may be prescribed.

Hopefully the swabs will give a clue. Her full crop, is it full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Crop disorders can be bacterial or fungal (yeast, candida) infections or overgrowth. In my experience, crop problems can be a secondary issue related to another primary problem, such as reproductive disorder. If she has a yeast infection, most vets will prescribe Nystatin or Medistatin antifungal medication. Sometimes there can be a combination of bacteria and yeast, and both antibiotic and antifungal may be prescribed.
You are so knowledgable, grateful to learn from you. Crop not full but did have some food in it.... all normal vet explained. We were given antibiotics and an Omnivore food supplement that I need to tube feed.... nervous about that.... Swabs all negative. She said we will watch for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom