My tailess Call duck Story, (graphic pics included)

I was at the lake today and saw an adult mallard with a stumpy rear-end that looked like yours, but I think he had a deformity as he also had difficulty walking. He had a tail, but a tiny stub. But, he has managed to survive into adulthood with no problem. Just thought it was interesting because he reminded me of your duckling.

they still sink! and quick too! these babies are constantly preening and smearing the oils around, but 5 seconds in the tub and they are wet to the skin! i'm putting a preformed pond in the flower bed today for them, that way i can get them fast if they start to sink the creek is a bit to big i think to get them all in a hurry
They shouldn't be sinking? Yeh there baby fur will get wet to the skin but at that age, they can stay afloat and not actually drown. I know all my ducks go outside at the age of 3 weeks, and yes they jump in the pool. Once they get out they are dripping wet and start the drying process off but at 3 weeks they are able to stay afloat.. With the acception of Rumpy...

i can testify to that! lol, shes off and running now lacrystol! you can't even tell she was ever lame....she is stunted some tho....will she catch up with the others or will she stay stunted?
What you do mean by stunted?? is she smaller then the rest and growing slower then the others?? Not sure what you mean

I was at the lake today and saw an adult mallard with a stumpy rear-end that looked like yours, but I think he had a deformity as he also had difficulty walking. He had a tail, but a tiny stub. But, he has managed to survive into adulthood with no problem. Just thought it was interesting because he reminded me of your duckling.
AWEEE, cool, so he was swimming??? Because mine is having some difficulties swimming, each time he goes in I can see him getting weighed down. I did notice some feathers coming in and they are coming in where the tail is but here's the funny part, it's crooked. So I think Rumpy is going to have a crooked tail. LOL..

Yeah, he swims, but his feathers are not in good shape. It's molting season, though. He has trouble walking. I think he's at least a year or two old, maybe more.

NEED SOME THOUGHTS HERE, So I put Rumpy outside I made a special cage for him. On the floor I put fine pine down for him but we are having some issues, he's slipping and sliding on the fine pine. He tries to hold himself up but the one back leg slowly starts to go behind him and he ends up doing the splits. Can get his leg back under him but only to start slipping again. I have the pine to help with water and poop messes. Not sure what else I can put under him to avoid the slipping and sliding?

Well he escaped, He's sooo funny, he escaped the cage and hooked up with his brothers and sister but his brothers and sisters are now rejecting him, So what does he do, he goes and helps a chicken that he's been raised with and teaches them how to escape, it's the funniest thing. he found an opening, squeezed in and out showing them how to escape, now he's running around the yard with his little chicken friend. Here's a pic of them together....

Back
Top Bottom