my tame 18 month old male!!

gaza

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
hi group,i have had these 2 18 month old males since birth!!
one has always been tame,would sit on my lap,let me cuddle him,etc!!
the other,i could not get near,even though they were brought up from the same age!!
my question now is!!!!
the tame male,as of now,he is 18 months old.
attacts me!!!!
i am doing a test right now!!
but,it seems,[or am i trying to cover for this guy]
he attacts,to mt shoes!!!
i have blue shoes,with white soles,kind of big!!
he seems to attact these
if i go out into the yard,with flipflopps ,no shoes,he seems to be fine.
can he see color?
is it the shape?
this guty was SOOOOO cute/tame!!!
but now,EVERY chance he has,he attacks me!!!!
i realise,that he is now getting to be an adult!!
so my question is=======
as he sees me as a rivale peacock.
should i confirm my domanace?,or just fall back,and realise,this is the process of these guys??

Hi Gaza
frow.gif
good to see ya here.

Sorry about you boy.
hugs.gif

A while back you asked about this and got a few replies, i thought mabe you missed it back them so i fetched the topic up for you.
Got some new pea people here so mabe you will get some more answers.
Here is the older post.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=578335

tame/handraised male birds(or most any livestock) of any kind sometimes tend to get agressive once the hormones hit. They lost their natural respect for people and see them as rivals instead.

Fighting back just enforces that you are a rival, but running away will confirm he can bully you as well. My advice get him an enclosure of his own and only go in to feed and water. Male Peas can get really dangerous esspecially since they can fly and really get in your face. Also most males I had got wicked spurs which could cause severe injury.
Get him a Pen with his own girl and less contact with you and he may lay off after a while....

My male peachick Peep that I hatched out has pecked at my shoes and feet since he was really small. He displays to my feet and jumps on my feet and pecks at them and pulls my shoelaces.

I don't think of it as attacking but more like he is treating my shoes as a peahen or something and displaying for them because he doesn't hurt me or do anything aggressive acting just pecking and standing on my feet.

Here are some pictures of when he was younger. He was standing on my foot and displaying at it.
As a little peachick he would stand on my feet to get as close as possible to me.
IMG_6013.jpg

Heyyouhavesomegrassrighthere.jpg

Displayingformyfoot.jpg

Sometimes I noticed he will grab onto my shoe with his beak and hold on like that and it kinda reminds me of how the adult peacocks grab onto the peahen's neck when they go to mate...Just a thought.

Hi Gaza,
This is time you could teach your young peacock that threatening you is not acceptable.

Do NOT hit or kick peacock.

If he attack you, do NOT feed him.

During feeding time, go to peacock's pen. If peacock attack you-do NOT feed him.

For 3-5 next days you train peacock...if he attack you again...NO foods for him.

Peacock have to learn if he attack you again, he will go hungry.

It will take 3-5 days for peacock to realise if he threaten you, that will means no meals for him.

With no foods for peacock, the engries will go low in 2nd/3rd day and he become less active.

Once he learnt ...Attack=No dinner/meals, he will behave.

If you kick or hit peacock, he will become very wary of you and fly away each time you approach him.

Think peacock as your male child.

Clinton.

Last edited:
9Catsz is correct, the peafowls have colour vison and excellant sight.

During training the peacock to behave, attation must be paid to how he behave.

If peacock feel low in engeries and had not fed for 2-3 days, his movement is less active and he stand or sitting for long time, its time he could be fed a good meal, plus he could be talked about his behavior, plus a hug. He'll recover in 2-3 days.

Only other two options:

1) Naughty young peacock could be in his pen by itseft, and NO other peafowls to join him.
Being alonely will teach him if he attack you, he faces loneliness for 5 days in his pen. Feeding as usual.

2) If you keep one or two adult peacocks in their pens (peacock per pen) and you have a young tame peacock that attacked you...Put the naughty young tame peacock in adult peacock's pen and let adult peacock bash the young peacock, for a day. This will fix the young peacock, helps him to behave. If he attack you again, then put him with adult peacock again. Feeding as usual.

Clinton.

I think Gaza is free-ranging this male, and so if he didn't feed him then the peacock would just run away and look for food elsewhere or just forage for food in the yard. I don't think it is a good idea to not feed the peacock...I think that could just complicate things even more. Really what I would do is push the peacock off. You might not have to kick or hit him, but you do need to push him or motion to him to get him to leave you alone. For example most of the time dominant birds only have to show a threatening posture and walk closer to a lower ranking bird to make them get out of the area instead of resulting to kicking or pecking at them. You just need to show him that you are the dominant bird and not him.
wink.png

I agree with Alea, a gentle push is enough and the best way to teach the young peacock to behave.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom