My Teenage Puppy

I love Aussies too.
big_smile.png
Youre is goergous.

sign up for a free account on photobucket then it is very easy. Once you upload photos to them, you can use the "IMG Code" they provide to copy and paste onto your posts.

everybody is Aussie CRAZY! Do all you aussie people think that they make a good family dog for the suburbs too? Its a breed we get in at the shelter regularly. I think that with proper exercise they can fit right in.

Quote:
The herding/working lines are generally are a higher energy level than the show lines. They are definitely not as hyper as border collies, and I have met TONS of labs that are way, way crazier.
If they are part of the family they do well. I don't have time to excerise my dogs every single day but they are good and don't get into trouble. When I am home, they follow me room to room, hence the term "velcro aussie".

Aussies do not do well as backyard only, secluded pets. They get bored and lonely and learn to do bad things like jump 6 foot fences
tongue.png
Because they are so smart, they need tons of socialization as puppies to reach their full potential. Like border collies, they can either be a absolute dream dog, or a nervous, unconfident nightmare. I would say its 20-25 % genetics and 75-80% upbringing.

Some fun pictures: First one is them being lazy at home, second is zoomed in pic of them swimming with a stick at the river (lassen's ears are flipped back in the pic)
lassenpassedout.jpg

riverswimming.jpg

wow that photo of the two swimming is so great! really! I often recommend aussies over borders for pet dogs. But like you said, if you get a working line, your in trouble if you think he's just gonna hangout in the house!

That picture of the swimming Aussues is pretty enough to be a poster. I can hardly wait for summer now, to see my Aussie swim.
As to exercise; we've got a couple acres for the dog to run around outside off leash. We usually play frisbee once or twice a day. She does all the manic running, not me!!! I usually walk her on a lead once a day, but not if it's snowing or raining hard.
You could have an Aussie in an apartment for sure, but you'd need trips to the park, dog park on a pretty regular basis. On days when weather makes it difficult, I make sure to give her lots of mental stimulation, training and toys to burn off energy.

Quote:
Oh my gosh, Aussies are THE best hairy buddies a person could have. So perhaps I'm somewhat biased but I've had a gorgeous border collie who was a doll - obediant, well mannered and not particulary nervous though she didn't like little kids. The border collie was just too intense - and too smart!! She needed a job and I was younger then so we went horse riding, hiking, bicycling and so on, which was perfect for us. Now that I've all grown up and have, you know, a real job
smile.png
and responsibilities, the Aussie suits me better.

My aussie isn't a slightest bit hyper, nervous or clingy. He makes a fantastic couch potato - or car potato, or lawn ornament - but the minute I say "Fuzzy (yes, that's his name - long story!), I need a hand here!" he's all business. Then "OK, that's enough" he calms right down again. To be honest, though, I think some Aussies can be more wired than mine is. It seems as if their lineage is closer to that of the border collie they are more
hyper, whereas some of them are more like the english shepherd/collie and aren't as intense.

Wouldn't trade him for next week's winning lotto ticket.

Back
Top Bottom