My temp keeps going up, how bad is that?

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
I started my incubator several days before the eggs arrived so that the temp would be stable, and it looked like it was staying steady right around 100, but now when I go to turn the eggs I keep noticing that it's over 100, and I turn the little handle, but when I come back to check again, it's STILL over 100! What am I doing wrong? It's a Hovabator styrafoam incubator. I already lost an egg cause the first time I went to turn them one must have been leaking or something and it stuck, and the shell cracked and a piece came off. There was no salvaging it. So I have 9 eggs now, and we're 4 days in. But I don't want them to die. Anyone know if the chicks have a chance?

I'm with you... I have 14 incubating right now.... I'm on day 8, and it's still air, so I check the heat all day and keep it around 100, but for some crazy reason, it goes up to like 103 EVERY night while I'm sleeping...... I have no idea why. I'm just sticking it out and keepin on keepin on, and hoping at least one will hatch.
hu.gif

I've got the same thing going on with mine, I also have still air Hovabator and I'm afraid I'm going to end up with hard boiled eggs.
he.gif
I had the thing set up for 2 days prior to my eggs being put in and temp stayed at 100 degrees. Now the eggs are there it keeps going up and I can't seem to get the thing regulated. Hopefully someone will come up with a suggestion for us!
fl.gif

Oh I hope so. I still have a few days before I can candle them and find out if I even have anything viable. I hope someone can tell us what to do to regulate the temp...
fl.gif

Quote:
Listen to DANNY folks. He's been raising chickens over 40 years. The guy helped me with my first hatch via the phone just a few days ago.

DANNY: that bit about spritzing the membranes probably saved at least two of my narrow end hatching eggs... you da man

Michael

Last edited:
Quote:
Danny is absolutely right. You have to quit adjusting it so much. I know it is hard to do, but the temps will adjust out. It takes A LOT of patience which I have never had much of!

ya.gif

Quote:
Danny is absolutely right. You have to quit adjusting it so much. I know it is hard to do, but the temps will adjust out. It takes A LOT of patience which I have never had much of!

ya.gif

Yep I try to keep mine between 101 and 102.

So far I have done really good with them. They do tend to go up or drop a degree pending on the room temp
where the incubators are located. I also have noticed that it will at its highest point towards late evening and coolest in the mornings and the house heats up and cools. Also have noticed when humidity is too low it will run a little hotter

OK now I feel a little better. My temp seems to have stabilized and is at 101.1 and has been since my last post. I bought an egg turner and that's working fine. I made a "water wiggler" for the temp/ humidity probe using the idea from another BYC members post. From some of the other posts I was under the impression that the temp should be 99.5-100.0 and that even 1 degree could make or break the hatch.
idunno.gif
So I was really upset, but if 102.0 is ok for a still air, maybe I haven't hard boiled em yet? What should the humidity be? Thanks to everybody for the great advice!
bow.gif

Eggs can stand a lot more then you think temperature wise. I think it takes about 104 to 105 for at least 24 hours to damage eggs.You have not boiled them yet. You are not up to temperature yet.You should be running 102 all the time if it runs over that a little sometimes it won't hust anything.A still air runs hotter than a forced air. If you don't run it 102 you will have late scattered hatches. pipping and dying and birth defects.

Back
Top Bottom