My Tetra Tint Is Laying

screager312

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 9, 2010
Mission
Went away for 5 days, came back found 5 eggs. We have 2 RIR, 1 Barred, 2 Buffs and 2 Tetras.

Took us 2 days to figure out who it is and its one of the tetras.

She is laying medium size white eggs.

They are all about 5 months old.

Congrats on the eggs.. Now, a little off subject; might I ask what a Tetra Tint is? I've seen them mentioned quite a few times, but have never seen a photo or information regarding them.
smile.png

God bless,
Daniel.

Bought them at TSC as day olds, they were yellow with white tips on their wings. Now they are solid white and petite. I read the eggs may be brown but these are white.

Tetra Tints (thought I was purchasing red sexlinks) at TS, are an Ohio State University (mistake). I have 8 and they are mean for the most part, very competitive and will fight with my RIR in a heartbeat.

They finally began laying at about 18 weeks, white at first but now almost a year later, their eggs are dark brown, about 2.2 ounces each or larger. I'm told by the local Clemson University site that it takes a few weeks for their egg color gland (I'm sure that's not it's official name) to mature.

Accidentally one of my hens was mated with our RIR rooster and produced chicks on Valentine's Day. She had 9 eggs, all were fertile, 6 were born, 4 have survived and the other 3 had deformities and died in the egg. Yes, we always look and it's an awful job but it educates. The 4 that have survived are inside with us in an brooder box with plenty of starter food, sugar water the first few days and hay. They are a range of colors, 2 yellow with some brown wings, one brown/red and one white-ish. I didn't think hybred-birds couldn't conceive but I now stand corrected.

Good luck if you have them, I will be selling mine off if anyone is interested. I believe they lay about 5 days a week or so on the average less than the RIRs.

Thanks Ohio State University and TS...(sarcasm).

C

Back
Top Bottom