My thoughts on the egg carton hatch method.

rebelcowboysnb

Confederate Money Farm
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Independent State of Dade NWGa
My hatch rates usually stay around 75%. I tried the egg carton method for two hatches in a row. Both of which had very low hatch rates. This hatch that just finished this morning, I went back to laying them on there side. My hatch rate went back up. 31 out of 38 hatched. That's proof enough for me not to use the egg carton method again.

I opened the eggs up that did not hatch using the egg carton method an all had the extra moisture in an around there mouths. I believe that if they were on there sides this moisture would have pored in to the air sack an away from there mouths. Looks to me like standing them on end makes drowning more likely.

I have found the opposite to be true for me. Since I started using the cartons over a year ago my hatch rates have went up way....especially on shipped eggs. I lost way more chicks to drowning when I was hatching on their sides. I think everyone needs to find what works the best for them....I know I won't go back to hatching with them laying on their sides again.

Mine improved with carton also!
idunno.gif

I am using the carton for the 1st time. Out of 6 eggs 1 has hatched 2 pips and 3 left to go. So I will update later to see how my hatch went in egg cartons. I decided to use egg cartons because I didnt want the ones hatched playing football with the other eggs.

Quote:
I agree with you Sara. If your humidity is too high and the aircells don't get large enough they're gonna drown whether they're on their sides or standing up in a carton.

I've got a hatch going on now....in cartons......and so far all but one of my eggs has hatched and most of the shipped eggs have either hatched or have pips. That would not have been the case 2 years ago...especially on the shipped eggs. I just know that the only thing I've changed about my incubating and hatching process has been the hatching them in the cartons.

I am now using a modified egg carton method. I used the egg carton method before, and lost a couple that pipped on the wrong end. So I now have a piece of foam rubber with holes cut out of it. I lay the eggs on their side and they stay very stable in the indentations. I like that way best.

Back
Top Bottom