My thoughts on the egg carton hatch method.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebelcowboysnb, Mar 28, 2009.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My hatch rates usually stay around 75%. I tried the egg carton method for two hatches in a row. Both of which had very low hatch rates. This hatch that just finished this morning, I went back to laying them on there side. My hatch rate went back up. 31 out of 38 hatched. That's proof enough for me not to use the egg carton method again.

I opened the eggs up that did not hatch using the egg carton method an all had the extra moisture in an around there mouths. I believe that if they were on there sides this moisture would have pored in to the air sack an away from there mouths. Looks to me like standing them on end makes drowning more likely.

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    thanks for the info. i will take my cartons out. and how do i fit 48 eggs into an LG? lol

3. Chickbait

Chickbait Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I tried one hatch in the egg cartons and had a poor hatch also 1 out of 20

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have found the opposite to be true for me. Since I started using the cartons over a year ago my hatch rates have went up way....especially on shipped eggs. I lost way more chicks to drowning when I was hatching on their sides. I think everyone needs to find what works the best for them....I know I won't go back to hatching with them laying on their sides again.

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If you have too much moisture that sounds like a humidity problem more than a carton vs. laying on side problem.

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    My hatch rate improved with the carton method. Weird!

7. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Mine improved with carton also![​IMG]

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am using the carton for the 1st time. Out of 6 eggs 1 has hatched 2 pips and 3 left to go. So I will update later to see how my hatch went in egg cartons. I decided to use egg cartons because I didnt want the ones hatched playing football with the other eggs.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree with you Sara. If your humidity is too high and the aircells don't get large enough they're gonna drown whether they're on their sides or standing up in a carton.

I've got a hatch going on now....in cartons......and so far all but one of my eggs has hatched and most of the shipped eggs have either hatched or have pips. That would not have been the case 2 years ago...especially on the shipped eggs. I just know that the only thing I've changed about my incubating and hatching process has been the hatching them in the cartons.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am now using a modified egg carton method. I used the egg carton method before, and lost a couple that pipped on the wrong end. So I now have a piece of foam rubber with holes cut out of it. I lay the eggs on their side and they stay very stable in the indentations. I like that way best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by