My three rescue girls and advice needed

We cut the grass and dump it in and they run and jump in the pile like a puppy would and then try and eat as much as they can haha. They love cooked stuff and very much meat. I wasn't sure whether to give them lettuce as I know some birds can't have it as it gives them the runs. If I can give them some lettuce I will try them. They like carrots, cooked and chopped up. I often give them balls of mashed potatoes with girly wigs (mealworms) and garlic. They go crazy for that and actually close their eyes in pleasure. Mind you Tuelow makes these funny little noises of pleasure whenever you give her girly wigs. I've never heard a chicken make a noise like it. The other two don't. Just her :love How many have you got? Have they got names?
Awe how cute girly wigs.
Yes I have 4 Edna ( great grandma) , Zora ( my bossy aunt) , Barbie ( my mum) and last but not least my sweetest girl Aretha ... A black australorp after the queen of soul. !
IMG_20201208_143004.jpg
edna
PXL_20210220_172909927.jpg
Zora the BOSS
IMG_20201208_143022.jpg
my dear quiet, reliable Barbie
IMG_20201208_142947.jpg
And the youngest girl Aretha.

I do only give them romaine and spinach. Iceberg is junk lettuce. I might try the mashed potato yum mix.

What a lovely message. Thank you. :love

It's funny what you should say about the rescues being so grateful and behaving differently. I suspect my first and second (Tuelow and Chapel) have no idea they have been rescued but my little girl Lucky runs to me almost shaking with delight when she sees me and squats down so desperate to be picked up and stroked.

She doesn't have the same sound as the others as she had become hoarse from crying when she was being eaten alive and sounds like a whistle when she chits chats to me. She is the one with the sour crop and she's had that since I got her.

The first few days she just cried and cried. She was such a mess and I didn't think she would make it but she has so I want to try very hard to make sure she has a good life. She's not laid an egg yet but I don't care if she never does as long as she is happy.

I will have to see if I can get some photos up.

I must admit for a household that has two young men with depression they have brought much joy and happiness. They are always doing something cute and funny. I never thought they would be such a source of amusement and there is always someone watching them from the back hall window. I must say they eat like queens and they adore peas and cauliflower and yes, I actually buy them what they like just for them.

How lovely to meet you with your understanding of my love for my babies.
Thank you again for such a lovely message :love

It's funny how they do that. I was suffering some pretty serious mental health and addiction issues, at one point I was not eating or getting up unless I had to go to the bathroom for weeks on end.
Caring for creatures that need you, and trust and love you in return is really something of it's own kind of medicine <3. And my chickens (and rescue dogs and rescue donkeys and rescue goats lol) have been such a huge part of my recovery and healing. I am so glad to hear yours are bringing joy.

It's funny how they do that. I was suffering some pretty serious mental health and addiction issues, at one point I was not eating or getting up unless I had to go to the bathroom for weeks on end.
Caring for creatures that need you, and trust and love you in return is really something of it's own kind of medicine <3. And my chickens (and rescue dogs and rescue donkeys and rescue goats lol) have been such a huge part of my recovery and healing. I am so glad to hear yours are bringing joy.
I totally get you. In such a big way. I've got PDST level 2 trauma and I must say that I've been a lot calmer and less stressed since I got these little babies. I have other rescue animals too including a lizard that is my sons. I love animals but these chickens are a whole new thing in themselves. I'm so glad that you've found some peace and super well done on getting on the right path. I know it's not easy. :love

Oh! Also - though garlic can be beneficial, it’s best to give oyster shell or another form of calcium.
Welcome to BYC!
Yes, I read that and brought a big tub off amazon but I must say, I took one look at it and thought what the hell would they want to eat that for. They are big chunks of three different things, one of them was oyster shell. I sprinkle a bit in their food. I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do? I did put it separately but they are turning their nose up at it which is hardly surprising :lol:

They are brown, red in colour but Lucky is a lighter colour with a smaller red bit at the top. They just look like normal brown chickens if that makes sense? Mine is just very raggidy because they've come from a farm in a bad state.
Do you have any pictures? If you'd like we may be able to help ID them.

Yes, I read that and brought a big tub off amazon but I must say, I took one look at it and thought what the hell would they want to eat that for. They are big chunks of three different things, one of them was oyster shell. I sprinkle a bit in their food. I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do? I did put it separately but they are turning their nose up at it which is hardly surprising :lol:
Offer the oyster shell in a separate dish. They'll just eat it as they need it. :)

Back
Top Bottom