My timid Australorp

swanny

Hatching
Oct 11, 2015
Swanny here from Melbourne, Australia.

I have read a number of reviews/comments about Australorps and I now realise that my (one only)black hen fits almost into all the description categories.Yes she is BIG and beautiful...she is timid...she hasn't yet laid and would be approximately 35 weeks old..but her comb and wattles are getting bigger and redder by the day.She is the least affectionate of all my small flock and lets the others eat before her on most occasions except when I arrive with some meat 'tit bits' then she is swift and aggressive.
She makes a different sound to the others..leghorns and Rhode island reds.It is a deeper ,grunting noise and she has been the one who has taken the most time to perch at night choosing rather to sit on the edge of one of the nesting boxes.
For many nights I would have to go to the coop and place her on the perch with the other hens,often to be met with that familiar deeper grunting noise when I handled her.
She is a fascinating hen and I am watching every day to see when she lays her FIRST egg.

Nice to meet you Swanny. Was your Australorp recently added to your flock? I'm wondering if the others may have bullied her at introduction and caused her to be timid. Sometimes it helps if you can just spend time in the yard with her and let her check you out - without bribes and treats. She may have come from somewhere - without much contact with people.
Or maybe she is just an 'odd duck'. Some birds do seem to mellow once they start laying. I don't know if Australorps start laying early or late but, have heard very good things about them.

Several of the greeters have Australorps so I'm sure they can give you better information. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you get that first egg soon from her!

I am so impressed that replies came so promptly to my comments today as a newbie.My Australorp was one from the same group which I bought in July from a farm.They were housed in the same pen and that was one of the original reasons why I bought them together..a mix of RI reds a leghorn and my mystery bag..the secretive Australorp.Believe it or not ..today it happened..my first egg from the big Black girl and when I went down to the Pen tonight to lock them up she for the very first time was submissive and 'dropped' before me.I ushered the others into their pen and spent some time trying to feed her but she wanted badly to be with the others.I guess that is why we invest our time in caring for these animals because they are interesting, challenging and what I term...mysterious.Thank you for the support..Swanny.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you decided to join us.

Sounds like she is definitely the bottom of the pecking order which IMO would be predicted mixed with the others you have. Hope she settles in and starts to lay soon.

Swanny here from Melbourne, Australia.

I have read a number of reviews/comments about Australorps and I now realise that my (one only)black hen fits almost into all the description categories.Yes she is BIG and beautiful...she is timid...she hasn't yet laid and would be approximately 35 weeks old..but her comb and wattles are getting bigger and redder by the day.She is the least affectionate of all my small flock and lets the others eat before her on most occasions except when I arrive with some meat 'tit bits' then she is swift and aggressive.
She makes a different sound to the others..leghorns and Rhode island reds.It is a deeper ,grunting noise and she has been the one who has taken the most time to perch at night choosing rather to sit on the edge of one of the nesting boxes.
For many nights I would have to go to the coop and place her on the perch with the other hens,often to be met with that familiar deeper grunting noise when I handled her.
She is a fascinating hen and I am watching every day to see when she lays her FIRST egg.

Hi swanky from Perth WA!
Welcome to BYC :)
We are relatively new members also.
There is an Aussie thread that is good for posting questions on things relative to our climate and things that can be bought in Australia.
It's under social- and called " Australia-six states and that funny little island".
Cheers :welcome

Back
Top Bottom