My toy poodle killed most of my quail chicks!

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
Well what actually happened was I had given the chicks scambled egg and smoke got up there to steal it apparently ( I was asleep at the time) but I know it was him. He didn't hurt the chicks by biting or eating them just stole the food bowl and water bowl and in the process turned the light directly on the chicks and they died of the heat. He also stole the water bowl so they had no access to the water. I don't know why he did it, He has water in his bowl and food. Anyway it was a heartbreaking sight to wake up to, Just makes me want to cry! Smokes not a bad dog. But sometimes I just want to wring his little neck! 5 of the chicks hid from the light under the towel in the brooder box and survived. probably would have died if I hadn't have woke up and found them. I fought so hard to get these chicks hatched with that crappy incubator (Little Giant) being too hot then too cold then with the humidity, anyway in the end they survived just to die like this! It just makes me sick, And is very depressing. Thanks for listening Sandy

hugs.gif

Aw... that would be very hard to wake up to.

I'm glad a handful made it and you woke up in time to save them. I guess they'll have to go into a room that can have the door shut next time you get a hatch so this accident can't happen again. Sometimes dogs can be so dingy.

Hugs to you and your survivors,
Gretchen

Thankyou, and yes I will take extra special care to keep smoke out next time. I just never dreamed he would do something like that. I do know that he had no intention of hurting the chicks and that is reasuring in some measure. If he did he would have left an even more horrific sight Im sure or some of the chicks would have been missing. I guess the scambled eggs was too much of a temptation for him. Sandy

I'm sorry for your loss, I know how heartbreaking that is to put so much time, work and love into the little stinkers only to have something like this happen. Micah
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom