My TSC "Red Pullet" has ENORMOUS feet and legs

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
I have a 3.5 week old "Red Pullet" that I got at a few days old from our local Tractor Supply store along with a few other chicks that I'm raising at the same time. She's feathering out wonderfully, and has a very good personality. She's also growing really well. However, I'm getting concerned that my "Red Pullet" may actually be a "Red Cockerel." Her feet are HUGE and her legs are noticeably thicker than the other chicks (Barred Rock, Brown Leghorn). They're like tree trunks. She doesn't seem to have any more comb than the others at this point, but those feet and legs worry me. Have you guys found that big feet and thick legs at this early age are any kind of gender indicator? I really like this chick and hope my suspicions are wrong . I live in a city where roosters are a major no-no. Thanks.

Can you post a couple of pictures? Do you have any other chicks that are the same breed (crap shoot, I know, coming from that bin) for comparison?

Couple of things you can watch for that may help in the next few weeks to identify the sex...
if its little comb starts turning pink, it's probably male. Pullets' combs stay pale white or yellow until just before they start to lay (5 months & older). Also, in many breeds, the females feather out faster than the males; I hatched out Rhode Island Reds once, and it took FOREVER for the little guys to get rid of all there chick fluff and completely feather out! My go to sign is the comb color. Good Luck and congrats on your chicks!
smile.png

Trying to get a photo!

This chick is indeed taking forever to feather out. He/she still has lots of patchy fluff showing thru.

Sigh.

Large thick legs are generally a sign of a meat bird, Cornish x have very thick legs compared to layer chicks, I'm not sure about Freedom Rangers (red broilers) but I would assume the same, dark Cornish usually have large legs and are more of a dual purpose bird but I don't know if their legs are that large in the chick stage.

I have a 3.5 week old "Red Pullet" that I got at a few days old from our local Tractor Supply store along with a few other chicks that I'm raising at the same time. She's feathering out wonderfully, and has a very good personality. She's also growing really well. However, I'm getting concerned that my "Red Pullet" may actually be a "Red Cockerel." Her feet are HUGE and her legs are noticeably thicker than the other chicks (Barred Rock, Brown Leghorn). They're like tree trunks. She doesn't seem to have any more comb than the others at this point, but those feet and legs worry me. Have you guys found that big feet and thick legs at this early age are any kind of gender indicator? I really like this chick and hope my suspicions are wrong . I live in a city where roosters are a major no-no. Thanks.

My Heritage RIRs tend to have larger legs and feet. The females do feather out faster and seem to get their tail feathers a little quicker than the males. Hatcheries usually have a 90% guarantee. I have bought what were supposed to be all pullets and one turned out to be a male.

@blucoondawg you know, that is *exactly* what this chick's feet and legs look like - like a Cornish x chick. They aren't just larger than the other same age chicks' feet and legs, they are bizarrely, freakishly bigger. I wish I could get a photo that really shows what I'm talking about. This chick is also about 1/4 larger overall than the others. Maybe she's not a cockerel but is instead a mislabeled meat bird?

Last edited:
A red broiler? Now ain't that interesting? I hope you post a photo soon!

I have never shopped at TSC we don't have them here only fleet farm, how many different types of chicks does tsc carry? We have sort of a large feed/general animal supply store here that will get a few chicks usually Cornish x and black sex link layers of some sort

Back
Top Bottom