My turkey came back with black scabs???

When I went to get the turkeys they were in a very small (4X2X3) caged area with chicken wire and a tore up blue tarp. When she opened the door to the cage a layer of maggots spilled out, it was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. There was no bedding just piles upon piles of feces and then the crawling layer. There was a pen next to the one they were in, that had some other turkey's, all he was doing was rubbing back and forth and back and forth. Poor guy and we have his lady too, she is not tore up like he is, oh yeah and his snood is actually ripped, but still gets color and comes out.

Well first off, THANK YOU for rescuing them and getting them OUT OF THERE!! You are an angel.
hugs.gif
I'm sending you a big hug.

I was speechless when I read your post about how they were living. That "black stuff" could be a few things. Someone just posted about maggots on their turkey. Please read this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=536196&p=1

Do your turkeys have signs and symptoms of respiratory problems? When my Tom turkey first had his respiratory problem, I noticed that he had a few black scabs but not as many as your tom has. After administering the meds (Tylan 50), the scabs fell off, went away and never to be seen again.

If it were me, I would, of course, quarantine them WAY AWAY from your other animals. I would go as far as giving them a GOOD GOOD GOOD bath. Do you see any signs of lice or mites? I would also dust them with Sevin Dust to get all of those nasty bugs off of them.

I don't know if the scabs are from Fowl Pox or not. You could also put Iodine on the scabs as well.

Your poor Tom looks so sad. I feel sorry that they had to live like they did. But now they have a good home.

Can't wait to hear back from you about your turkeys.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. He is doing well after his bath, we will dust him with DE. He is eating well and his poop is normal so far. We have them in a pen as of right now. I truly thing he just rubbed against the chicken wire constantly and it caused the scabs. His breathing is great no sound of congestion just very tired. I don't think they have slept or eaten in days. He is talking and fanning and other then the scabs he is beautiful!!!

I'm with Kuntrygirl,.. Thanks so much for rescuing that poor Tom,..I know nothing about turkeys but she sure does, so you got good advise,....and I hope you will post pics of your new Tom when he is all cleaned up and feeling better! I just love happy ending stories!

Ok, well good to know that there is nothing severe going on with them.

Since you said that they haven't eaten in days, what percent protein feed do you have for them? A higher protein feed? The dusting is a great idea. If you have Iodine on hand, you can dab a little on the scabs but you don't have to if not.

I think the TLC that you all will give to them will have them up and running and happy in no time.

Thank GOD for you all.

You're a blessing.

thumbsup.gif

They are getting Turkey feed that we get at our mill, it is 28% protein. We will get some Iodine, can you tell me why Iodine please?

I agree that the sores were probably caused from rubbing against the wire or possibly fighting with another turkey through the wire or a combination of both.

Back
Top Bottom