My turkey is acting sick PLEASE HELP

Can anyone explain somethings to me?

Idk if anyone will reply but I have some questions about sour/impacted crop.

My main question is if he has a blocked crop and I'm giving him medicine and liquid food is that even going anywhere or is it just sitting in his crop? His crop hasn't gone down much since the vet emptied it and if I'm having to keep giving him liquids isn't that just building up in his crop? How is that going to help him, I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this but I'm just not understanding that. Isn't sour crop from a impacted crop, so I'm not sure how this whole thing happened over night or if it's been going on for a bit and I haven't noticed? I always check his crop so idk
Is the blockage ever going to get out or pass through?

I'm not trying to give him too much liquids at a time because I don't want him spewing fluids everytime he moves. He has perked up a little by making some noises but only if I'm near him but otherwise he has been very lethargic and just sits in a dog crate all day hunched over with his wings drooping down, crop about the size of my hand around it.

Can anyone explain somethings to me?

Idk if anyone will reply but I have some questions about sour/impacted crop.

My main question is if he has a blocked crop and I'm giving him medicine and liquid food is that even going anywhere or is it just sitting in his crop? His crop hasn't gone down much since the vet emptied it and if I'm having to keep giving him liquids isn't that just building up in his crop? How is that going to help him, I'm trying to learn as much as I can with this but I'm just not understanding that. Isn't sour crop from a impacted crop, so I'm not sure how this whole thing happened over night or if it's been going on for a bit and I haven't noticed? I always check his crop so idk
Is the blockage ever going to get out or pass through?

I'm not trying to give him too much liquids at a time because I don't want him spewing fluids everytime he moves. He has perked up a little by making some noises but only if I'm near him but otherwise he has been very lethargic and just sits in a dog crate all day hunched over with his wings drooping down, crop about the size of my hand around it.
@Bantambird

Is the blockage ever going to get out or pass through
In my experiences crop problems are from things lower in the digestive tract that keeps the crop from emptying. Another thing that can happen is birds consume things they shouldn't which cannot leave the crop, like string. I personally have not had luck fixing a crop problem long term here.

In my experiences crop problems are from things lower in the digestive tract that keeps the crop from emptying. Another thing that can happen is birds consume things they shouldn't which cannot leave the crop, like string. I personally have not had luck fixing a crop problem long term here.
The night before he got sick like this he tore up a dream catcher, he mostly ripped off all the feathers from it which had beads on them. I'm not sure if he ate any of them since they were mostly scattered around but that's what I've been thinking could have caused this.
Edit: he has eaten his own feathers like a weirdo so I'm not too sure, he has also eaten worse things than some pea sized wooden beads but that's what happened the night before he got sick.

Last edited:
About all you do is do what the vet gave you and hope he improves. That's the bad part of keeping turkeys, eventually they go. :hmm

In the last 2 years I lost all my older toms from various reasons. I almost stopped keeping turkeys when I lost my favorite blue Tom. It's unfortunately a part of the hobby that they will eventually get sick, or just pass.

No one can say what the outcome will be for your turkey. Just do what you can.

The night before he got sick like this he tore up a dream catcher, he mostly ripped off all the feathers from it which had beads on them. I'm not sure if he ate any of them since they were mostly scattered around but that's what I've been thinking could have caused this.
Edit: he has eaten his own feathers like a weirdo so I'm not too sure, he has also eaten worse things than some pea sized wooden beads but that's what happened the night before he got sick.
Did you tell the vet this?

I've had crop surgery done on a hen who got blocked up consuming an entire nesting box of hay. There is a video of the surgery. Unfortunately, even after recovery, the crop usually becomes pendulous due to stretching. If you can keep pressure on it in order to help it empty, via a 'birdy bra' it's possible for the crop to shrink down to a more normal size. Unfortunately, crop problems usually return.
I made a crop support using circular bandage. Make sure it's snug but not restrictive, cut out wing holes to hold it in place and it should look like a turtleneck sweater. If it rolls up, cut out leg holes to keep it down.
Once they develop problems emptying the crop, you will likely need to leave the birdy bra on most of the time unless the crop starts emptying normally.

Back
Top Bottom