My turkey laid her first egg! Now what?

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
My RP layed her first egg today! It had a little blood on it, but she seems fine. I am pretty sure it is fertile. How long can I wait to put it in an incubator? Is incubating turkey eggs different from incubating chicken eggs? Ive never tried turkeys before. Do turkeys lay an egg a day during laying season?

82189_dscn1984.jpg

my understanding is they take a week longer to hatch. Everyone also recommends hatchign a chicken with the turkeys to help show them drinking and feeding.

28 day incubation with higher humidity. They store well in a cool place for 10 days or so. Throw in a few chicken eggs on day 7 so they will hatch togather. The first eggs are usually not as fertil.

same humidity and turning is the same, but lockdown on day 25 and they hatch around day 28. Well this is what i've read anyway. My first turkey egg hatch is going to be the Easter hatch. I'd wait until at least her third egg... and save as many as you can to hatch just to see how it all goes. It will give you a better idea of the quality of the egg from the hen, 1 egg isn't a good sample by itself ya know.

My RP layed her first egg today! It had a little blood on it, but she seems fine. I am pretty sure it is fertile. How long can I wait to put it in an incubator? Is incubating turkey eggs different from incubating chicken eggs? Ive never tried turkeys before. Do turkeys lay an egg a day during laying season?

82189_dscn1984.jpg
I am babysitting my grandkids and my daughter has both chickens and turkeys. The chicken eggs NEVER looked like this. My granddaughter found a nest of 5 up on the deck in the umbrella that blew over. Being they look so different than her chicken eggs would you say these are definitely turkey eggs ??? Thank you

I am babysitting my grandkids and my daughter has both chickens and turkeys. The chicken eggs NEVER looked like this. My granddaughter found a nest of 5 up on the deck in the umbrella that blew over. Being they look so different than her chicken eggs would you say these are definitely turkey eggs ??? Thank you
This thread is from 2011. The OP that you replied to has not been on BYC since Sept. 19, 2011.

Please start your own thread and show your own image of the eggs in question if you want them identified.

Back
Top Bottom