My Turkeys aren't making babies!!

MysticPoultry101

Songster
6 Years
Jun 28, 2017
I have a 9 month old Bourbon red Jake named Autumn and a 3 year old Bronze hen named Monny. Monny only sits down for me, And it seems that Autumn only cares for me. When they DO rarely mount, Its like neither of them know what they're doing. I would love too breed them but They're kind of Disfunctional. Do I need more hens? Any suggestions?

I have a 9 month old Bourbon red Jake named Autumn and a 3 year old Bronze hen named Monny. Monny only sits down for me, And it seems that Autumn only cares for me. When they DO rarely mount, Its like neither of them know what they're doing. I would love too breed them but They're kind of Disfunctional. Do I need more hens? Any suggestions?
Turkeys are very poor natural breeders. They are too big and clumsy, and often 'miss the mark'. More often then not they are artificially inseminated.

It's possible to breed them naturally, but it just really comes down to having the right hen and Tom and a whole lot of luck.

Turkeys are very poor natural breeders. They are too big and clumsy, and often 'miss the mark'. More often then not they are artificially inseminated.

It's possible to breed them naturally, but it just really comes down to having the right hen and Tom and a whole lot of luck.
Heritage turkeys are actually quite profiecent breeders.

@R2elk

This is only true about the Broad Breasted varieties. The artificial insemination is not because the turkeys can't breed naturally, it is because it is a much more efficient method when commercially raising broad breasted turkeys.

In heritage turkeys, artificial insemination is not a normal thing even when being raised commercially.

There are individual toms that are not good breeders. These toms should not be used for breeding because it is part of their genetic make up. You do not want to make more bad breeders.

The part about the hen only wanting to assume the breeding position for the owner is the owner's fault for imprinting the turkey when it was a poult. Now that turkey thinks the owner is its mate.

I have a 9 month old Bourbon red Jake named Autumn and a 3 year old Bronze hen named Monny. Monny only sits down for me, And it seems that Autumn only cares for me. When they DO rarely mount, Its like neither of them know what they're doing. I would love too breed them but They're kind of Dysfunctional. Do I need more hens? Any suggestions?
More hens may help but if your tom doesn't know what he is doing, you really shouldn't be making more of him.

On the other hand, a turkey mating is not always a quick act. The tom will typically tread the hen's back until she raises her tail. Once her tail is raised he will breed her. It only takes additional seconds once she raises her tail for the act to be completed.

If your tom is facing her tail when he gets on and trying to mate with her head, get a different tom.

This is only true about the Broad Breasted varieties. The artificial insemination is not because the turkeys can't breed naturally, it is because it is a much more efficient method when commercially raising broad breasted turkeys.

In heritage turkeys, artificial insemination is not a normal thing even when being raised commercially.

There are individual toms that are not good breeders. These toms should not be used for breeding because it is part of their genetic make up. You do not want to make more bad breeders.

The part about the hen only wanting to assume the breeding position for the owner is the owner's fault for imprinting the turkey when it was a poult. Now that turkey thinks the owner is its mate.
Ah, I apologize. I thought it was true for all turkeys. Disregard my previous statement then!

Back
Top Bottom