My turn! Sex my black silkie....

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
These two came from Ideal May 1. Honestly, not too impressed with the quality, but I was just looking for broodies for next year. Now, I'm re-thinking some breeding projects and thinning down some birds. I'm sure the buff bird is a pullet. I had a buff cockerel and there was quite a difference in comb and shading of the body color. The black bird I'm not sure on. I was trying to learn vent sexing when I got them, and have it listed as male, but not sure that means much
roll.png
. It does have quite a bit of comb for the age (6 months). So, silkie folks, help me out
bow.gif

I did hear some pitiful crowing coming from the vicinity of this coop, but not sure if it's the black silkie or the little splash cockerel who lives with them.

And it's funny how much clearer things can be looking at pics vs looking at the actual bird! He clearly looks cockerel-ish, going back and looking at the pics. I'll let ya-all confirm before I advertise him.

Oh yea, cockerel! ;)

Edited to add-hopefully that means you're figuring out vent sexing. I wish I'd written down my guesses this spring!

Last edited:
Oh yea, cockerel!
wink.png

Edited to add-hopefully that means you're figuring out vent sexing. I wish I'd written down my guesses this spring!
Well, it means I was right on this small batch of 4 silkies
smile.png
. The video I watched said silkies are easier due to the black skin. I didn't try after them, all my other hatches have pretty much been sex links. Saves my poor old eyes trying to look at baby chick's parts
hmm.png

Do you happen to have a link to the video, by any chance? This is something I've been meaning to learn but could never find a good resource to do so.

This was the video I went by. It's the clearest pics I could find of the vent. I bought a stand magnifying glass to help me see better. I figured I'm not under a time constraint like the professionals, so why not?

Back
Top Bottom