My turn to ask...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WhySayWhat, Jul 9, 2011.

1. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I am fairly certain (as certain as a noob can be) that they are all girls...they are roughly 16.5 weeks old now and still no crowing! But, what are your opinions? These photos were taken this morning, but I do have photos all the way back to the day I got them if needed.

First up is Gertrude my Barred Rock. She's giving that dish of food the what-for, lol. And, of course, the glass jar is in the way of showing off her comb, but it is standing nearly an inch to an inch and a half tall righ now and very red as well.
    [​IMG]

Clyde is one of my SLW's. The shyest bird I have too!
    [​IMG]

Last,but not least, Henrietta! Her wattles are 2 to 3 times the size of Clyde's.
    [​IMG]

A "body shot" of the three of them last night as well...Gertrude is, of course, facing the wrong way here too, so the second is from a few days ago, grainy but shows off her comb a little better.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, I know I'll know for sure in a month or so when they should all be laying eggs, but I'm curious what others think they are...I've heard people from this forum tell me I had all girls and all boys...and everything in between. Just curious what the current consensus is on my "girls".

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your barred rock looks like a roo to me with those long hackle feathers and large red comb. I could be wrong though. Some chicks don't crow until 5 months or later.

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Edited to say that I just realized the color difference in your SLWs. The second one might be a boy, and I would need a full body shot of the BR to tell the gender.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Can you get a full body shot of the Barred Rock. I'm pretty sure it's a hen, but a body shot would help.

5. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    From a few nights ago, not the best, I was aiming the camera in a dark coop trying to make sure everyone was inside.
    [​IMG]

And this morning, sans head...silly branch next to the feeder... "her" body, is of course, the barred one. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's hard to get photos of them alone, the three of them travel in a pack, very close together, 90% of the time!

6. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    They all look like girls to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by