My tuxedo 'baby' crowed!! Plus question on sexing!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Poor guy!! the others just looked at him like WTH???
gig.gif
they even went to the other side of the tub to get away!!!
lau.gif

I was wondering, does the leg color mean anything in the tuxedos? I'm thinking no, cause I haven't read anything about it. It would be nice to be able to tell the sexes of them. It seems like most of them have some black on their legs, but the one that crowed has all yellow legs. Wishful thinking that I have 1 boy and 3 girls
tongue.png

I was looking at my pharaoh babies, and every time it seems more of them are looking male.
sad.png
Out of 12, I am pretty sure at least 7 of them are male, maybe more like 9 or 10
hmm.png
Just my luck, guess I'm not meant to have pharaohs!

Last edited:
Pharoahs are no fun any how too tiny (least for me) they're cute but I like them bigger, bigger eggs that way and bigger meat production.
smile.png

*im breeding pharoah out asap- I have all my pharoah browns in with the goldens, with my biggest golden roo so hoping to turn that line into goldens for me, and hopefully bigger birds then go from there...*

As far as tuxedos having solid pink legs (you mean pink right? i've never seen a coturnix with yellow legs even my goldens have pink legs) I'll have to look into the theory on that. I'm looking at my tux roo Panda right now and he has mostly pink legs/feet there is a light "dusting" of darkness in some of the leg scales but at a distance he looks pure pink.

I have a young unsexed tuxedo in my brooder whom I just took out, it has bold black markings on pink legs. We'll see if it turns out to be a she or if it turns roo if the legs get darker
smile.png
I'll have to check out my deffinate tuxedo hen outside and see if she's got dark or pink legs or both.
smile.png

Last edited:
Okay, I guess they are pink, but the one that was crowing has almost solid pink legs, and the others have a lot of dark on their legs. The crower has no dark on his legs at all. Hope that means the others are girls!!
fl.gif

Okay, actually, the crower has some areas that are 'dusky' looking, but the other 3 have obvious black parts on their legs. It would be neat if that was how to sex them, much easier that way!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I've never read about it on any scientific studies, or from any breeders even *on the other side of the pond* so if it does show to be true, i'd say you were the one to notice it. I'llk eep you updated on mine
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom