My twelve 6 week old baby chickens disappears one by one and now im down to four.

I see that your fencing is chain link. In the Philippines, there are many different species of rat-type, omnivorous rodents and weasel-type creatures. Chainlink offers spaces that are plenty wide for any number of critters to slip right in. I suggest adding a layer of wire fencing with smaller gaps to keep things out.
I see that your fencing is chain link. In the Philippines, there are many different species of rat-type, omnivorous rodents and weasel-type creatures. Chainlink offers spaces that are plenty wide for any number of critters to slip right in. I suggest adding a layer of wire fencing with smaller gaps to keep things out.

Absolutely. Chain link doesn't afford any protection from predators for the most part. Hardware cloth is the only way to go.

Just google the mammals of the Philippines. CIVETS! Those things look like a chicken keeper's nightmare. Part cat, part rat, part weasel. And there is something called a stink badger. Philippines = chicken keeping hell.

Is your run covered? With what? The fencing you are using could allow weasels, or rats through, maybe even a small possum. If the run is not covered, any number of predators could be climbing in.
Not covered, they are as is in the picture.

And yes, i am thinking it could be rodents, as i have found evidence just now after lifting the supposed to be nest box. here is the picture.

No problem, I have had to deal with my Embeden goose pick8ng on all the ducks, forcing to fly out, so I tied everyone up for about a week, and let them all go, and I never saw a fight again

LOL :lau. thats sounds like a similar situation to my guineas when i had them housed with the laying hens, they took over the nest box and wouldn't let any hens lay eggs and roost. but we separated ours permanently, as they are real bullies. :lol:

But i think this is not about bullying as i found evidence just now about the dead chickens. here's the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.JPG
    IMG_2742.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2743.JPG
    IMG_2743.JPG
    710.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    725.8 KB · Views: 18

Yes, i am thinking of adding a 1/4 inch hadware cloth (all round) for additional protection. yet the funny thing here is i had this coop since last year september, (with living 3-5 week old chicks inside of course) and only started having problems this rainy season.

Just google the mammals of the Philippines. CIVETS! Those things look like a chicken keeper's nightmare. Part cat, part rat, part weasel. And there is something called a stink badger. Philippines = chicken keeping hell.

Yes, lots of different types of rodents here, We have alot of this long snouted rat (i dunno what its called but ill post a pic from google.)

When i started living here in my province in Mindanao - Philippines in 2013 (i formerly live in manila), we had an insane rat infestation that they even live inside the canals and attic of our house, and at night its like there's always a rat party going on the upper attic. it took us a month to rid of them all but the rat piss smell was the real problem, we had to replaced the entire attic just to rid of those nasty smell.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 18
Oh my! Tempesta. That is the ugliest rodent I've ever laid eyes on. This is the stuff that night mares are made of! How big was that creature? I do believe you've found your murderer. And most likely, if it's in the rat family, if you have one, you most likely have dozens. Do you have an agricultural advisor in your region or county/province who can advise you about the best way to get rid of this infestation? In the mean time, your chicks will not be safe unless you can enclose them completely in 1/2" hardware cloth, including top, bottom and sides.

Oh my! Tempesta. That is the ugliest rodent I've ever laid eyes on. This is the stuff that night mares are made of! How big was that creature? I do believe you've found your murderer. And most likely, if it's in the rat family, if you have one, you most likely have dozens. Do you have an agricultural advisor in your region or county/province who can advise you about the best way to get rid of this infestation? In the mean time, your chicks will not be safe unless you can enclose them completely in 1/2" hardware cloth, including top, bottom and sides.
They are ugly yes, we manage to catch a few of them before via enclosed mousetraps and set them free faraway. they are as big as brown rats but are a bit slower, as for the agricultural advisor, we have them but they would usually just say to grab a few boxes of rat poison to eliminate them rats, what i hate about that method is that if the rats died in places you cant reach, the stink of death will really be annoying... so i prefer to just trap them via enclosure and release them somewhere far. and yes, i am thinking of adding 1/2 or 1/4 hardware cloth for the whole coop and lifting up the nest box (so that the rats or whatever cant hide underneath the nest box.) :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom