My twelve 6 week old baby chickens disappears one by one and now im down to four.

tempesta

Chirping
Dec 13, 2017
Philippines
Hello Everyone, I'm having a predator problem but i cant pinpoint what is killing my baby chickens, I have a closed coop with wide openings I started putting 12 baby chickens inside and they are living with a 3 matured chickens and a lone turkey hen, (i will post a screenshot of it later). The problem started around last month where we had a heavy rain for 3 days, i first noticed that there were 2 missing when i counted them at night during the rainy days, then after the rain (their place was all muddy) i found bones and legs of 2 dead chickens (with head present but bodies mutilated), after a few days a few have gone missing again only to be found the next day but this time there are bodies present but no intestines. and last night i lost another one (the largest of my chickens) and i am down to four.

What could be killing my chickens? I am thinking rats, and cats, as we have alot of those roaming around our place. but any insight and ideas will be good.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I see that your fencing is chain link. In the Philippines, there are many different species of rat-type, omnivorous rodents and weasel-type creatures. Chainlink offers spaces that are plenty wide for any number of critters to slip right in. I suggest adding a layer of wire fencing with smaller gaps to keep things out.
I see that your fencing is chain link. In the Philippines, there are many different species of rat-type, omnivorous rodents and weasel-type creatures. Chainlink offers spaces that are plenty wide for any number of critters to slip right in. I suggest adding a layer of wire fencing with smaller gaps to keep things out.

Absolutely. Chain link doesn't afford any protection from predators for the most part. Hardware cloth is the only way to go.

Just google the mammals of the Philippines. CIVETS! Those things look like a chicken keeper's nightmare. Part cat, part rat, part weasel. And there is something called a stink badger. Philippines = chicken keeping hell.

Back
Top Bottom