My two male guineas(adolescent) fighting I think over females

Tacampbell1973

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2013
Washington State
Hello all,
Ok the same cute little keets that were born twoand a half months ago right? Now two of the boys are neck and neck fighting over presumably one of their sisters, or all of them. I separated them once but they free range so there isn;t a whole lot i can do but hope one doesn't get seriously hurt right? I thought they were kind of young to be doing this already. My neighbors guineas all seem harmonious is this just an adolescent phase? I don't want to even consider rehoming any of them, unless it is imperative to their safety and there is no other option. They are still kind of funny even fighting. All you see is bobbing necks and feet. They grab each others neck ruffs and hang on. Boys
barnie.gif

i would have to guess that its just them starting to feel their oats, most flocks mingle very well with as many roos as hens. they are funny to watch though. i like when they drop their wings and come stomping at you .lol

i would have to guess that its just them starting to feel their oats, most flocks mingle very well with as many roos as hens. they are funny to watch though. i like when they drop their wings and come stomping at you .lol
I forgot about that. the daddy to my little ones scared the beejeepers out of my dog last summer doing just that. It was great to see her put in her place for once.
big_smile.png

I think it's just the "boys being boys" syndrome. They're trying to figure out exactly where they stand in the flock - who's going to be top "dog". I'm not sure if you have more guineas, but boy, if you do, the older ones will let them know where they stand in the flock real soon - and put them in their place. I always worry, too, when they start fighting, but it always seems to work itself out.

Thanks both of you, I think you are right.It just bothered me to see the kids not getting along. It was a riot though because they are at that awkward juvenile stage where they are all neck and leg and all I could see was "knees, beaks and elbows" but one would grab the other by the neck ruff and hang on for dear life. Today they seem to have worked out their druthers though and peace has been restored. For now. Thanks again.

I know it's been a few months on this last post, but.....

I had to rehome many of my guineas (long story), and I'm back to my original mom and dad, and then one pair of their babies (although they are now bigger than their parents!). I was horrified to see the male "son" chasing dad all over the yard, and he even pecked him pretty good in one eye. He chased him so bad and dad finally ran for a tiny corner behind all the nesting boxes. There are 3 coops that they can go into, but both males wanted to hang out with mom I guess (gross).

I separated them finally for the night, putting mom back with dad where she belongs! If this is going to be an ongoing thing, I might rehome junior. I don't want papa hurt any more.

Do you think they will work it out? I read previous posts, and it didn't happen like I read-- the older one definitely didn't win this one. He did not stand and fight at all, ran and hid instead. Mom just kept eating like all was well.

Too much drama around here...

How about balancing the boys and girls in number- or more girls than boys. I reading past posts here, I have had the same thing- for some reason, one gets singled out and picked and chased. As long as they don't bloddy him too much, it all seems to work out, but I have had to place the one that is being pecked on in a separate pen to heal up and start again. He seemed more restred and able to deal with things better after a few days,

Back
Top Bottom