My unfeathered Muscovey.

Tozan

Chirping
Jun 9, 2022
Arizona @ 3000 feet
This is my 20 month old she has been a great sitter. She started out pulling feathers almost a year ago and they do not grow back. She has lost most of her wing feathers. She acts normal otherwise and has looked this way for months. We kept hoping she will molt so the feathers would come back. We have 3 muscovy and she is the only one like this. They all get pond time everyday and they all seem to get along fine. They are all sisters and we got them all at once.

I have treated her with an antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial oil and silver hydrosol. She just got out of the pond so she is wet.
20230818_183648.jpg

Attachments

• 20230818_190411.jpg
    20230818_190411.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230818_190411.jpg
    20230818_190411.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230818_190424.jpg
    20230818_190424.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
hey I don't know much about muscovies or why she has the feather problem but I was just thinking that maybe she is stressed out too and it wouldnt hurt to put some nice nesting box herbs in her nest, maybe some of these that are listed this advertizement I came across"
::
"A beautiful and generous blend of 14 species of dried flowers and herbs including Lavender, Mint, Organic Cat Nip, Chamomile, Eucalyptus, Rose Petals, and Lemon Balm. 100% natural. This mix helps to repel lice, mites, and insects in your chickens' nesting boxes, as well as having a calming effect on your birds."

Hmmm... I wouldn't think it's mite or any external parasites, since her sisters don't have them. Same with the food. Although as Miss Lydia said, giving her extra protein to actually *grow* all those feathers back would be a good idea. If she's been like this for almost a year, and is otherwise healthy, the original problem might be gone.

Birds have been known to pull and even eat new feathers for the protein.

I'm glad you're in Arizona, the poor dear would have frozen over here!

I add Gamebird 30% protein starter feed, dried meal worms, live earth worms and Yeast mixed into their regular All flock feed plus they get to forage everyday. Several times a week they get stuff from the garden like squash, kale, collards, water mellon, cucumber and other surplus vegetables. I grow cat nip, Lavender and mint in the yard and it gets spread around in their coop sometime. I don't see any mites and the other birds all look fine.

Sounds like they're living the life! Can I move in? ;)

Seriously though, short of going to the vet for a skin scrape and blood work, I have no other suggestion...
I can see you now @Canadian Wind sitting there eating a big bowl of game starter with worms on top[yum] oh wait that is what the gov wants us to eat. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom