my unusual serama behavior

Ricky86

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
Hi, I'm from Malaysia,
My Serama start crowing from last week and able to walk again.But other thing that concern me is he got something like unusual, his neck always raised up like something stuck or choking because I noticed his behavior since last year (November)...He was okay when since Feb/March (The day I took him to vet) but this sign came back again and it really worries me sometimes.The reason I took him to veterinarian clinic because sometimes his comb turns blue ( not all,only little bit on rear part and it's feels cold) and this choking sign,raised & shaking his neck.The Veterinarian doctor says nothing stuck on his neck,any suggestion or explanation why my Serama behavior like this?

I post on other section and some reply it was a wry neck symptoms.Please any explanation would help?

I have upload my video on youtube so that you can see what the problem I mean.
Thanks.

Hi, I'm from Malaysia,
My Serama start crowing from last week and able to walk again.But other thing that concern me is he got something like unusual, his neck always raised up like something stuck or choking
I post on other section and some reply it was a wry neck symptoms.Please any explanation would help?

What do you feed him?
How have you treated him for Wry Neck?

You mention that he is able to walk again - was he not able to walk for a period of time?

Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Offer a balanced poultry feed along with poultry vitamins that contain vitamins E and B1. You can give him a little egg daily for selenium.

Since his symptoms keep coming back, I'm inclined that he has Marek's. The only thing you can do is to make sure he is eating/drinking well and offer supportive care.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

What do you feed him?
How have you treated him for Wry Neck?

You mention that he is able to walk again - was he not able to walk for a period of time?

Check his crop to make sure it's emptying overnight. Offer a balanced poultry feed along with poultry vitamins that contain vitamins E and B1. You can give him a little egg daily for selenium.

Since his symptoms keep coming back, I'm inclined that he has Marek's. The only thing you can do is to make sure he is eating/drinking well and offer supportive care.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Hi Wyorp Rock,Thank for the reply,

My Serama is about 10 years old now was raised since 2008

I feed him rice grain (sometimes),bread in small slice,cabbage and dried meal worms,wholemeal crackers,sometimes he don't want to eat the food I mention and loss appetite, I tried to avoid him roaming outside because he always want to eat mud (when doing mud bath) and swallow anything and that worries me a lot.

I don't know how to treated him for Wry Neck symptoms.

Last time his spurs was stuck on a wire mesh and his tendon and ligament hurts and damaged he was paralyzed until I came here and one friendly BYC fellow recommended me to try Chicken Sling method and after one weeks of observation my Serama can move again as usual,Thanks God.

How to make sure his crop empty??Do you have any links that I can buy poultry vitamins online? Since last week I'm always gave carrot juice to him every evening that I bought from my local grocery store,if he refuse to drink I have to use syringe (without force)

What I know if Marek's disease sign/symptoms are two both legs are bend and can't walk,but I don't think that he has that kind of illness.My serama is sometimes very aggressive and start jumping attacking people even that he was old but still active.But I will take your advice as daily references because my local veterinary doctor didn't advice me anything but only gave antibiotic.

I will give him supportive and extra care.Thanks a lot.

My Serama is about 10 years old now was raised since 2008
I tried to avoid him roaming outside because he always want to eat mud
What I know if Marek's disease sign/symptoms are two both legs are bend and can't walk,but I don't think that he has that kind of illness.

Thank you for giving us more information.

Since he is 10yrs old - most likely his symptoms are more age related than from disease.
I would add poultry vitamins to his diet once a week, but if he has thrived this long with what you have been doing, I would not change anything.
It sounds like his "paralysis" was due to injury and not disease.

When you let him outside - the eating of dirt is normal for chickens - they consume dirt for grit and various other reasons mainly only known to chickens. You may want to provide him with a small cup of poultry grit free choice - chickens need grit in order to process foods properly.

Again - with his age - Marek's is possible, but unlikely - but just to clarify Marek's can present in so many ways - a lot of times only one side (wing/leg or both) are affected. A chicken may be lame or have total paralysis - it's a multi-faceted, complicated and frustrating disease.

Thank you for giving us more information.

Since he is 10yrs old - most likely his symptoms are more age related than from disease.
I would add poultry vitamins to his diet once a week, but if he has thrived this long with what you have been doing, I would not change anything.
It sounds like his "paralysis" was due to injury and not disease.

When you let him outside - the eating of dirt is normal for chickens - they consume dirt for grit and various other reasons mainly only known to chickens. You may want to provide him with a small cup of poultry grit free choice - chickens need grit in order to process foods properly.

Again - with his age - Marek's is possible, but unlikely - but just to clarify Marek's can present in so many ways - a lot of times only one side (wing/leg or both) are affected. A chicken may be lame or have total paralysis - it's a multi-faceted, complicated and frustrating disease.
Thank you once again for your kind advice and all BYC fellow members who pay attention.Animals like chicken/rooster for me is the most beautiful God creation that exists.For age like my Serama it was not a pet anymore,but a family members that I have to take care of.Will take your advice.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom