My Version of the Witchata Coop build.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stormrider1, Sep 3, 2013.

1. stormrider1

stormrider1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is what I started with, had a buddy with a skid loader haul in some sand and half way level out the spot.

[​IMG]

I dug a trench and buried 12 x 12 inch pavers on there side, to try to keep anything from digging under.

[​IMG]

2. stormrider1

Aug 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I added pavers on top as a base to build the coop on.

[​IMG]

Started framing, run is 6 x 10 and the coop is 4 x 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the floor built tonight, added some linoleum to the floor, and started on the walls of the coop.

3. stormrider1

Aug 1, 2013
    I am using 1 x 6 boards for the walls of the coop, I got them cheap and my wife likes the look. I would like to just put them together and nail them up, but I am getting some small gaps between some, around a 1/8 of an inch or less I am wondering if this will be ok in northern Minnesota, will it just help with ventilation? Or should I try to seal them with some caulking? Or any Ideas that wont take a ton of extra work? They don't really show up in the picture.

[​IMG]

4. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I'm planning to build that coop too and I enjoy seeing your pictures. I'm also in MN and I think I would seal those gaps to prevent drafts through the sides in the winter.

5. dandan111

dandan111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Great job so far

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Very nice.[​IMG]

7. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Looks very nice, I would use a paintable or stainable caulking just for the drafts. Looks good keep the pictures coming.

8. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    It looks so easy from the pictures. Having helped my hubby build ours, I know better. Looks good.

9. stormrider1

Aug 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Bought some caulk and put it between each board before I nailed them down, so that should seal up the walls pretty good. Framed where the nest box will go and a window above it. And got most of the hardware cloth up. We let our 3 week old chicks check out he run, they were having a blast!

1 person likes this.
  10. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    It seems to be going well! I plan to start mine this weekend. Please keep posting... I know I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Are you building your own windows?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by