My Version of the Witchata Coop build.

I got the roof on, despite all the rain this weekend. I got most of the nest box done but it was to dark for a picture.

It's really looking great! Was the door very hard to do? After the foundation the trim work worries me the most.

The door was pretty easy I just made it a half inch smaller than the size of the opening, used 2x4's to make it, stapled on the hardware cloth than sandwiched it with more 2x4's so it got a little heavier than I thought, I started with 2 hinges and it sagged a little, but with the 3 hinges it is swinging perfect.

so 2x4 on 2x4? That seems like it would be really sturdy! Do you think a 1x4 on 1x4 would work just as well?

so 2x4 on 2x4? That seems like it would be really sturdy! Do you think a 1x4 on 1x4 would work just as well?

Probably, that basicly makes a 2x4, which should be plenty. Everywhere I stapled hardware cloth I sandwiched it between to 2x4s, following this guys lead http://informationcupboard.com/25/ So I just did the door the same way.

Ran out of wood or I would have fineshed this wall tonight, I have the door for the coop assembeled in the garage, just waiting to put it on until the coop is all the way done, so it is not in the way.

I am pretty sure digging the trenches, and getting the blocks in place and level took almost as much time as the rest of the build. I had to haul about 20 loads of sand in four 5 gallon buckets, on my four wheeler, from a hole I have in the woods to level out my spot, that was the worst part.

I got the electric put in today, I trenched the line over to the coop, ran the conduit and everything, then my bro in law the electrician came over and wired everything up. I finished the wall on that side and got the cover on the nest boxes, but ran out of light to take a picture. I am hoping to cut out the pop door, mount the roosts, mount the coop door, finish the windows tomorrow. And then hopefully finish painting everything and shingle the roof Sunday. Then I should be done.

Awesome. How are you feeling about it? Does it seem as sturdy, safe and easy to manage as the plans make it seem?

Back
Top Bottom