My Version of the Witchata Coop build.

I am done besides the shingles, I actually moved the girls in today.

Checking out the coop.

How many chicks do you have? It looks like it might be a tight fit in there when they
are all grown.

Fantastic!

Can I ask some questions about framing the house part? I see that you have a middle vertical board on the left side. Is that a 1x2? Does it attach to the floor, or just the top and siding pieces? Are those also 1x2s that go around the sides or is it wider like a 1x4? Is it the same framing the nest box too?

How many chicks do you have? It looks like it might be a tight fit in there when they
are all grown.

We have 14 right now, we want more like 6-8, but we hatched 4 from some eggs we got, and the least I could order was 10 from Ideal. So I plan on eating a few, if my 9 year old daughter will let me.

Fantastic!

Can I ask some questions about framing the house part? I see that you have a middle vertical board on the left side. Is that a 1x2? Does it attach to the floor, or just the top and siding pieces? Are those also 1x2s that go around the sides or is it wider like a 1x4? Is it the same framing the nest box too?

The middle vertical board is attached to the floor and the rafters up top, i mainly needed that because my siding boards were bowed a little bit so I needed more support to keep them straight. I didnt use any 1x except the siding, everything else is 2x4. the nest box I framed the opening on the coop then I built the nest box out of 2x4s and attached it to the side of the coop.Hope that answered your questions.

Do you think these 3 3 inch holes in this wall and 2 3 inch holes in the opposite wall are good enough for ventilation?

You mean when the other windows are closed for winter?

Where are you located and which side of the coop does the prevailing wind hit?

I am in North central Minnesota, I dont know about wind? Back of the coop (2 holes) is north, front (3 holes) is south. It is kind of tucked into the woods, so wooded on north, east and west sides.

Will you be covering your run walls with plastic? It might be ok, but you may also end up cracking a window. It's my first winter with chickens so I'm not sure, but everything I read says ventilation is more important than heat. But I also think it's easier to add ventilation than to plug too many holes. I guess the key will be if things get frosty and if you smell ammonia. Add ventilation.

I plan to put some plastic up, I am hoping to leave my food and water out in the run all winter, So I am hoping they will spend sometime out there this winter.

That's what i was thinking about ventilation, I could always add more later

Back
Top Bottom