My very Bad dogs!! What would you Do?

Pit Bulls are not usually prey driven/agressive. They are also very easy to train. My brother's Bull Terrier (Spuds Makenzie dog) wouldn't hurt a fly. Once my geese chased him and my sister in law and were biting the dog on his butt and sides, and all he did was look back at them like they were crazy. It's a good thing he has such a nice temperment. He's so strong he could kill them by accident. My Dachshund can't be trusted around small animals. Rather than fight her hunting ability, I keep her away from the birds and am getting her into earthdog competitions.

I am not sure one can ever be 100% sure about any dog, with very rare exceptions. I like dogs when they are not harming other beings, I rescue dogs, indeed have even run into traffic to save them but I if I had a nickel for every bird attacked by a dog whose owner was surprised their dog acted in a predatory manner I could rule the world.

A neighbor's pit bulls were out loose and found my yard and my birds, who were minding their own business just inside their run. One rammed the run, viciously tore my hen apart - thankfully they were run off and after surgery and round the clock TLC for weeks she recovered but she suffered a lot and no bird deserves that. Their owners said they were shocked because the dogs are so gentle. Have had other similar situations in the past (luckily no one died, because I stand right over my birds when they are out [their outings more and more rare anymore because of irresponsible dog owners] and act quickly though even this is not fail safe) and without exception every single time the dog "owner' said their dog had never done anything like that before.

JJ

Last edited:
I agree, you can never be sure about any dog. I think it is foolish and asking for it to leave a dog alone with livestock. Even worse, then the dog owners who left the dogs alone with the livestock, punish the dog! You left him there for goodness sake! (Not the OP, thier dogs escaped). People sure expect a lot from animals with mental abilities not beyond that of a toddler.

My RIR roo recently committed suicide by flying into the dog pen. One bite/one kill, roo all gone. Not even a feather was left after the 4 Malamute "pups" were done. I keep my dogs in a large fenced in pen with electric wire along the top. Works great until one of the chickens decides to fly in and visit.

In my experience, once a dog has killed, they will continue to do so if given the chance. Sorry for your loss.

Dog: Predator
Bird: Prey

Ya ain't ever going to get around this. You can supervise and train the dog when you are home, but as soon as you leave you had better have a good fence. There will be some trustworthy individuals, but personally I'd just never leave them alone unsupervised and work at keeping everyone in their own areas.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

While this is a bad trait for your dogs to have, many dogs would not be trustworthy so join the club. To minimize the danger to the birds, teach your dog to come to you reliably and to "drop it" or "leave it" or some such command which means, "drop that thing in your mouth this instant!" Then try to make sure you never need to use the command!

Look for some bird friends on Craigs list to replace your lost ones, that will make you feel better!

tie the dead chicken around the dogs neck for 30 days he will smellit but not were he can get to the dead bird after a month of that bad smell and living with it he wont do it again,we did this to a dog when i was a kid and it worked

If you want chickens get rid of your chicken dogs.... once a biscuit eater always a biscuit eater.... that is what they used to call chicken dogs in the olden days.... you can not have both... chicken dog and chickens... must decide

Sorry about your chickens.
You most definately will need a more secure coop and the electric wire is a good idea also. Only problem is a tenacious border collie may not pay any attention to the zap. I don't know your dogs. Definately a secure coop and run for your chickens and a safe place for your dogs is needed.
It's not that you can't train the dogs to be better around them but now they have had the fun of catching what they were chasing. It will be a lot of work and you would need to find the right trainer. Its much easier to keep everyone secure.
I have 2 cocker spaniels I leave out with the chickens so I have someone to let me know if there are cats or dogs around. The chickens seem to hang close to the dogs as if they know they are there to protect them. I have even seen the dogs bark at something and the chickens come running to them. It is quite a site in my back yard.
Good luck on securing all your pets.

The lady with the 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Ive heard tying the dead bird around their neck for a week works extremely well even though it sounds cruel... sigh im gonna have to do that to my Swissy next summer
th.gif

Wow............ I just read some replies........... I guess I am the only dog trainer who owns chickens out there.
If you can teach a dog to take a blind person across streets in a city and be their eyes, you can certainly teach one
not bother your chickens. They are not unpredicatable beasts. It is just most people do not have the knowledge
or the tools for it and you can not just read a book to learn how. A dog is a pack animal and if it is taught to respect
them and that the chickens are part of the pack you can trust them.
My advise to anyone is make sure your coop is secure and keep the dogs securely away from your chickens
if you do not know how to train the dog or dogs to leave them alone.
Good luck to you again.
And I am sorry you lost your chickens

The lady with the 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Back
Top Bottom