My Very First Emergency: Egg Bound? Pictures Included

Do you crush the pills in water and have them drink it?

I've never given the calcium pills but yes, that's how I would probably do it as I've had dismal success getting a pill down a hen! I like the liquid calcium better. In the past when I've given aspirin I crush them, pour them into a large, needless syringe then suck up enough water to mix it all up. For me that's been the easiest way to get it down them. You do have to be careful when you give it, go slow and just dribble it in the side of the beak a little at a time and let the bird swallow each time, don't want them to aspirate any of it.

Do you crush the pills in water? How do you give them?
With a full sized hen I put them behind the tongue and massage them down the esophagus into the crop. Smaller hens get 1/2 at a time or crushed, mixed with water and syringed into the esophagus.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Quote: Okay, so my the amount I give now is closer to ~50mg per pound (100mg/kg) once or twice a day. To calculate dose, it's weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2 (converts to kg), times 100 (mg per kg), divide by 230 (mg per one ml). So for a 6 pound chicken the formula looks like this:

6 ÷ 2,2 x 100 ÷ 230 = 1.18577075099 ml. Okay to round up to 1.2ml

Hope this helps!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom