My (Very) New Flock

hanekins

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2016
I just arrived home with my eight little girls! They seem to be settling into their brooder well, and they've already found their food.

I haven't assigned names to the individuals yet, but they are Milly, Sarah, Alice, Liza, Dorcus, Martha, Ruth, and Hermione.

Thank you! It looks like I accidently did a double post. It told me there was an error when I first tried to post this.

It's 84 degrees in the garage at noon- surely that is warm enough? I'm terrified of roasting them.

Thank you! It looks like I accidently did a double post. It told me there was an error when I first tried to post this.

It's 84 degrees in the garage at noon- surely that is warm enough? I'm terrified of roasting them.
ugh I hate that lol. How old are they?
95 for 1st week 90 2nd week 85 3rd wk 80 4th week 75 5th week. 84 should be good enough, looks like they are comfy in the pics. Watch them as a sign to see for sure

They're between 2-3 weeks old. We're not 100% sure.

This is what they're doing now except for the one asleep on my knee. I had my boyfriend turn the heat lamp off because it looked like a couple were panting.

Last edited:
They're between 2-3 weeks old. We're not 100% sure.

This is what they're doing now except for the one asleep on my knee. I had my boyfriend turn the heat lamp off because it looked like a couple were panting.
they are ready for no heat, especially being in garage. I'd just keep an eye on Temps:)

They don't like me very much yet. I've been sitting in the brooder with them. They'll eat out of my hand but definitely prefer not to be held.

They don't like me very much yet. I've been sitting in the brooder with them. They'll eat out of my hand but definitely prefer not to be held.
Keep handling them and talking to them! They are precious!
I raised all of my birds by hand and there are only a few that don't come running when they see mom. Can't win 'em all over, I guess
No worries about them "not liking you". I hope all are truly pullets. I have a cockerel named Rocky that I had not planned on.
Jury's still out with him but he's 16 weeks old and is trying to get busy with ALL of my ladies.
None of my pullets are interested yet so he thought he'd jump my 5 year old rescue hen yesterday.
All he got was a mouth full of her feathers and the stink eye from the rest of my mature hens!
Best wishes to you!

If I force the issue by picking them up, won't they be more freaked out?

I hope they're all pullets too. They're meant to be autosexing, so fingers crossed.

This is what most of the girls were doing a moment ago. One is sleeping on my hand now. I should have used my left hand, because this is clumsy for typing. :p

Back
Top Bottom