my very own micro farm

Pics
I'll still have a hand in the cooking ;). Here's a page straight out of Storey's guide for a starter list.

Change out here and there for perfered brand. And add from research or experience. A lot of these things are common household remedy's as well. It also helps that there's a feedstore literally right across the road from our drive. I have yet to call any of the vets in the area, just want to get past the holiday. I haven't heard about using pumkin seed but I mix some food grade DE into their feed occasionally but heard somewhere that it becomes inert once wet so idk. As for the tarps, I have a lot of scrap 2x4 that a friend helped me prop up under the tarp to make a janky a frame, enough for the majority of the water to roll off. We will see tomorrow however considering it started snowing just as we were headed down the hill to the inlaws'.
I'll be headed back up after the big feast to deal with what ever may be. We just tried to make sure all rivets of the tarp were tied down tight. Real roofs to come in the summer for sure. Glad your boy is doing better, keep up the good work. Here's a couple pictures from today.

Catfood thieving woodduck. Lol

And the rest of the kids playing in the mud. The chickens spent the morning undercover until it started snowing then retired to the coop. They are always so miserable when its wet. I really need some good pictures of them soaked. Ha-ha.
Its Early but happy turkey day all.

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

......I haven't heard about using pumpkin seed but I mix some food grade DE into their feed occasionally but heard somewhere that it becomes inert once wet so idk.....
Raw pumpkin seed is apparently well documented for killing intestinal worms in poultry, tho I can't cite them myself(ask Beekissed, she can cite studies).

DE kills by desiccation, so if it's wet it doesn't do anything. It's often put it in feed to kill any insects that may be living in feed during storage, especially grain mites.

So this morning started off quite pleasantly to the frantic cackling of my chickens. That freaking coyote was circling my house and main pen. Opened a window to yell at it and the thing just ran around the other side of the house but took off as soon as it saw me on the porch loading the .22 I'll get him one of these days. It's just a matter of time.
The tarps held up to the weather tho I suppose I didn't miss much as any snow there was wasn't by the time I got home last night. A few droopy spots to push out but none like before. The frost has returned as well, ground crispy grass blades frozen and ice on the water. About time to start making oatmeal for everyone in the mornings along with a splash of hot water on all the ice cubes.

@aartThat's what I thought and generally get the corners and cracks when I spread new bedding. Kept the ants out of my coop since last year. The pumpkin seeds are worth looking into. Perhaps @Beekissed would be kind enough to shed some light here.

@lindalouly I can see how the DE could be troublesome with respiratory problems. This was my choice over using chemicals to dust my coop. I also use simple green as opposed to bleach in them. How are your eggs going by the way? Every time someone hatches it makes me want to get an incubator, lol.

For now just gonna keep an eye on things out here.
Onwards and upwards
Attimus

@lindalouly I was fat happy and stuffed on turkey day. Coincidentally I stuff my turkey with quartered apples oranges and yellow onion to keep it nice and moist through the whole process. As for the incubator, you know I'll want to build one, if not multiple ones Lol. That's just in my nature. @birdman55 has a great walkthrough for one on his thread. Miss the guy and hope he's still lurking.

Today's the day to find out what my fingers look like. It's almost like Christmas in a morbid way. Went to bed late, woke up early. I've got this antsy feeling I can't shake. And time can't pass fast enough, the appointment isn't until this afternoon and that just seems to far away. Maybe once I get a good look at them I'll be able to look at the er pictures and possibly post some before and afters. After all table saw saftey is no joke and what better way to express that than the gory details. I will make plenty of warning before I do something like that tho.
Suppose I should soften the mood a bit before I'm off. So here's qbert napping

Onwards and upwards
Attimus

Back
Top Bottom