my very own micro farm

Pics
I bet the look on their faces was priceless.

Two nights now the chicks have stayed out, they seem to be taking it well, no more back and forth from the house.

Saw one of the sweds sitting in the nest near the house today, not sure if she was laying trying to highjack it or just practicing since they've been watching the mallards a lot. But it was funny to see.

Up to about a dozen or so beetles. And everything is starting to get nice and lush in the garden. Still working on the boxes, its crunch time spring is here. I might have to enlist some help.:)

Also made my own runner line for my dog. I'll get some pics of the rigging in the morning.

Last edited:
Yup so there it is one of my Swedish blacks laid an egg. And right in the middle of the other girls nest. Was curious what color their eggs would be.

Here's that runner rigging I put up.

Also after some confusion I determined that the second duck nest I found was abandoned due to something breaking the eggs, I'm thinking jay maybe. The hen has decided to start a new nest in the middle of my woodpile. I've added some bedding to help her out.
here's one hopeful mother now

And a better shot of the Swedish egg

Ripped some 2x4s for the garden boxes to help reinforce and give something for the hardware cloth to grab onto when I staple it on.
All this digging...always digging......spin on.

thats a cool color and big egg....so since were sharing eggs....lol
I can see it now. Wave after wave of chicks coming out of that thing. Gonna make for an interesting summer for you for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing little duckies run out of the nest and across the driveway to get to the pond. As crappy as it was to lose a nest they should be a bit more staggered between hatches now, and now Oreo and cookie are gonna be popping out eggs too( and literally just after all the morning chaos I saw a drake and Oreo gettin groovy in the water and that means fertilized crosses. Woo hoo. These duck are definitely going to keep me on my toes. And now this new pond needs to happen asap. Again with the digging. Lol.

What are you going to do with all those chicks?!?!
Do you have a market to sell them?
There's a guy on HST down in SC that has a great auction near him, he sells 100's of chicks there.

@LittleBlu looking forward to nests full of these dark eggs and the ducklings to come from the cross.Your more than welcome to come by anytime. I'm always out in the mornings doing something in the yard. And you did mention giving me a hand, if I start on the bigger pond before you head off to college I could use all the help I can get.

Back
Top Bottom