My warm weather (TX) adapted design (can hold up to 12)

Handiguy

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2020
1608313851420.png
Adapted this design from an HGTV Internet (Custom Chicken Coop Plans) article. I adapted the design details. Approximately10ft x 6ft x 7ft tall. Exterior is CDX Plywood, caulked and painted. Roof is standard "R" panel with interior "closures" to seal between metal panels and roof eaves. Our coop is in a "chicken yard", about 25ft x 50ft.

Coop side view.jpg

Side view. I added "V" support for (hopefully) added strength since in Houston area.

Coop narrow view.jpg

Removable poop board (2 panels under each roost bar). Made of 1x6 fence cedar with 3oz shade cloth stapled (stainless steel staples). Sprayed off daily into compost bin.
poop board.jpg

Poop board at compost bin.
poop board 2.jpg

Interior view (door opening about 2ft wide). Details: poop boards sit atop "Dura-Slat". The Dura-Slat is screwed to the coop 2x4 flooring. Beneath the Dura-Slat is a large, removable screen panel that is about 4ft x 6ft. The screen and Dura-Slat allow for added ventivlation and to keep mosquitos out.
Interior view.jpg

Screen panel partially pulled out.
Pull out bottom screen panel.jpg

"looking up" from bottom of coop. Screen panel sits on "runners" allowing for removal.
Screen panel view from bottom.jpg

Additional ventilation and window for light. Ventilation is plastic "wall louver". Another louver on opposite wall.
Ventilation details.jpg

Chicken Door (Aluminum panel bot at Grainger). Pulley wheels are RC plane wheel hubs.
Door to coop.jpg

Second door allows hens to "chicken yard". The pulley on this side is connected to the above coop door. Single auto door (standard Chicken Guard opener) needed.
Door(s) opener.jpg

Pulley Detail from inside (Fence wire to keep hens off).
Pully for doors.jpg

Nest box roof. Scrap pond liner to make gasket to keep water out at roof edge.
Nest boxes roof.jpg

Nest boxes (turned this way because this batch not laying yet). Scrap 1x2 keeps door propped open. Hasp "locks" nest box roof and is secured with carabiner.
Nest boxes inside.jpg

Coop is secured with Simpson ties. Bottom has metal strapping embedded into concrete "footings" in each corner. Hardware cloth is below ground (about 6-8 inches deep) to deter predators.
Simpson ties details.jpg

Bucket waterer (can adjust height).
Bucket waterer.jpg

Tube feeders outside of coop. Wheels make them much easier to move about. Vent flashing for added water/weather proofing.
Tube feeders.jpg

Nice build but in TX you should consider removing most of the inside facing coop wall to create an open mesh wall, to provide ventilation that'll be much needed come summer.

Also disagree with their estimate that it holds 12 birds... 6 would be a more comfortable number. Not that you couldn't put in 12 but if you ever have to lock them in the run for a few days, they'll get pretty irritated with each other fast. Since you have a large yard space that I assume they have free access to, that helps mitigate it.

Back
Top Bottom